Back in New Zealand

Doctor Mud

Sorry I haven't been very active on here for a while. 2017 was one of the craziest years  for me so far, mostly in a good way. 

Finally, for the last day of 2017 I managed a trip to one of my favourite places - the Miocene sediments in Canterbury, New Zealand.

I left the house at 5 AM since low tide was 9:30 AM. I was treated to one of the most spectacular sun rises (sorry no photo!).

I am very sore today from lots of boulder flipping and field trimming but it was worth it!

Found a split concretion with a string of shark vertebrae. Who knows there could be teeth in there too?

IMG_4167.thumb.JPG.ba89d3e856bf712f8d699a42a80d40d9.JPG

The paint brush is 20 cm long. Unfortunately I had to trim the concretion as it would weigh 70 kg (150 pounds). The fossil wasn't harmed but it would have been nice to keep the shape of the concretion.

• I found this Informative 1

Also got a few crabs and split open what should be a complete concretion.

found many split concretions giving a hint at what is waiting for the patient or hard working fossilhunter.

These concretions are so big and so hard that finding already split concretions is a good way to go. However it is hard to find a split that preserves the crab. The two largest specimens I know of are from lucky splits. Curiously these split concs are never near their counter part.

Im not surprised though as even large boulders get moved around on this beach.

Some "heart breakers"

IMG_4156.thumb.JPG.215179eac86a3ce9ba6b30b49cf7448e.JPG

IMG_4155.thumb.JPG.d41b6ab9b9d6620e6063d647aac3cba2.JPG

one last "heart breaker" These are nice to marvel at, but to me often not worth lugging off the beach. I hope to get one that has split in a nice place or to split one myself. The legs are not exposed on these big boys and splitting is a lot of work. Then you have to get over 150 pounds of rock off the beach!

IMG_4153.thumb.JPG.9c94fa1c8abb3d0317d995c48b407302.JPG

Close up of the associated shark vertebrae. Hope there are more in there and may even at least one tooth so I can identify the owner!

• I found this Informative 2

10 minutes ago, Trevor said:

Awesome find! Hope the concretion reveals some other fossils in addition to the shark vert.

I hope so too. There are nine verts exposed on the surface. I hope there are more inside and maybe even some teeth. There are also loads of beautiful "fan coral" flabellum which I find interesting in terms of a possible clue to taphonomy and depositional environment.

• I found this Informative 2

Wow! Nice finds! Some of your "leaverites" would be making it home with me, no matter what the weight! 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

Wow! Nice finds! Some of your "leaverites" would be making it home with me, no matter what the weight! 

Thanks!

its so tempting - especially with the one with the big claw. I was thinking yesterday it would be fun to make a silicon cast of some of the spectacular fossils in massive concs. Much lighter to carry out.

4 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Terrific finds! 

Happy 2018 to you! :)

Thanks!

it is now 2018 here in New Zealand!

1 and a half hours to go for you of 2017. Hope you are having a good night.

The first time for me that I didn't make it to midnight after my 5 AM start. 

• I found this Informative 1

Hey dude.  By any chance did you bring home the opposing halves of picture #2 and #4?  If so,, I would love to talk with you about those!!  and a happy new year to you buddy.  :)

RB

14 minutes ago, RJB said:

Hey dude.  By any chance did you bring home the opposing halves of picture #2 and #4?  If so,, I would love to talk with you about those!!  and a happy new year to you buddy.  :)

RB

Hey Ron!

This stretch of beach that I hunt on has about 80% already split concretions (naturally split) with the rest being very big hard concretions. Twice the size of a bowling ball.

These photos are of naturally split concs. Unfortunately the other halves are most often not to be found. From experience big boulders move many meters here from year to year, so halves part company pretty quick. The beach is covered with a 1 m thick layer of shifting sand other halfs could be nearby, but still buried.

This day I looked at the already split concs. Once I recover from this trip I'll be back to split some of the big boys and hopefully this is a preview of what will be inside!

Great to see you out and about. Like the others have stated, i would find it tremendously difficult to leave those no matter the size. Lol

Great stuff, Doc. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Thanks for sharing this all and for the informative details about what you have to deal with on that beach. As usual, seeking and finding good fossils is not as easy as one may think.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Very nice finds and a good way to close out 2017.  The thing I ;love about this forum is seeing all the fossils that are presented here from all parts of the world. 

Makes me want to travel to places like this and find something different.

Thanks for sharing and hope when you crack open a conc. you find an excellent specimen on both halves.

13 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Thanks for sharing this all and for the informative details about what you have to deal with on that beach. As usual, seeking and finding good fossils is not as easy as one may think.

Thanks Ludwigia,

its funny what what we do for fun. Breaking boulders and hauling rocks.

Im happy for the challenge though as the dream of finding one of those giant crabs intact or something else wonderful keeps me going.

The beach continues to surprise and amaze me and every time I visit it changes.

5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Very nice finds and a good way to close out 2017.  The thing I ;love about this forum is seeing all the fossils that are presented here from all parts of the world. 

Makes me want to travel to places like this and find something different.

Thanks for sharing and hope when you crack open a conc. you find an excellent specimen on both halves.

TFF sure is a great way to enjoy the wonderful variety of the worlds fossils. I also like hearing about the places they come from and people's adventures finding and collecting them.

Thanks for the well wishes! I am almost ready to head out again. I don't get out collecting often so my muscles aren't used to hard work like this.

Those are some huge crabs!!! :faint:

Good luck on your next hunt - I can't wait to see your next set of pictures!!!

Monica

Went back today, unfortunately @6ix couldn't come along this time.

Found this guy in a huuuge concretion,

A bit of rock was sticking up off the center  and I could see legs on either side.

Decided to see what would happen with a gentle tap. At first I was disappointed it split under the crab, but is actually pretty good! Got the bit with the small claw in too. Think I will stick the small claw back on and just prep it ventrally.

IMG_4185.thumb.JPG.77020c5fc19c8724fa25e4bea05756a6.JPG