mummified dinosaur

jason3124fish35

My first post and not real good because of size limit on pictures. I have a youtube channel that is free with google cloud. I posted video there of what appears to be a mummfied dinosaur that looks a close to The Fossil book 1948 edition. I happened to come across this at a garage sell. Not the best video. I plan on redoing it. 

IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0490.JPG

Hello, and welcome to the forum. :)

Judging by these photos, I am not seeing any bone texture to suggest a dinosaur fossil. These tend to appear in "plates" with visible sutures. I think what you have here is a weathered/eroded piece of limestone. 

There also seems to be a lack of symmetry or recognizable morphology. 

Topic moved to Fossil ID.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Welcome to the forum.  

Sorry but the images of what you posted is not a mummified dinosaur.  They are extremely rare and here are images of what a mummified dinosaur looks like, it a Brachylophosaurus “Leonardo” is preserved with bone, skin and muscle impression.  There is no bone in your specimen just looks like a large stone that has been eroded by water.

Leonardo_mummified_brachylophosaurus.thumb.jpg.bd07407496e2fa5e6de7e453cd692c91.jpg

DSOfcg1WAAEqeCz.thumb.jpeg.b037140d8a2762bed0eaefb2055e1193.jpegDSOfcg5WkAA5voj.thumb.jpeg.ff86861e7ad339a38b028880a7d5f14f.jpeg

I can see where your coming from, but it is limestone.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, jason3124fish35 said:

My first post and not real good because of size limit on pictures. I have a youtube channel that is free with google cloud. I posted video there of what appears to be a mummfied dinosaur that looks a close to The Fossil book 1948 edition. I happened to come across this at a garage sell. Not the best video. I plan on redoing it. 

IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0490.JPG

I wanted to add another video. I dont have time to tonight to make a good one. However, thank you guys for at least answering me. That made me feel good. It is a strange piece of limestone. I has teeth, nerves, skin. I am not sure what it is suppose to look like because I have never seen another. I understand what I am saying I have. It is one in a billion chance. It just cant be an accident. I will make a better video after weekend. Here is another quick video. I found two diamonds this past month and sold them too the pawn shop. The chances of finding a diamond that is one carat are 1 in a billion. But I found one at a thrift shop in mixed jewelry. And one diamond pendent. 

IMG_0435.JPG

IMG_0444.JPG

Looks like there may be some fossils in it though, I'm seeing brachiopod/bivalve cross sections in that last pic. One way to tell wether its limestone or not is to scrape off a little bit of it and put it in vinegar. if it fizzes its limestone. 

I will try to make a more professional video after the weekend. Thank you everyone that commented. It is better to here something than nothing. Nothing is what I expect from the museum. This weighs about 75 pounds and you bet it is rare. I am having a hard time not seeing a dino. It is perfect statue just about. It is a nice peice to add to my collection. I assume it will stay with me because no one would believe me. I have a few heads and would love to share with other people who are interested. 

5 minutes ago, jason3124fish35 said:

I have a few heads and would love to share with other people who are interested. 

We are always interested in looking at more rocks here on TFF!

I agree that Your piece is a large piece of limestone and not a dinosaur fossil (of any kind).

The "teeth" are a cross section of a ribbed clam shell. The "eye" is a natural bore hole.

Check out the 3rd link in My signature (bottom of My posts).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

When I got the stone. I thought it was yard art as well. It has proved me wrong. I noticed it one day on accident. Yes, it is limestone. Under the limestone is the fossil, which has taken a month or two in the shower to clean. It now appears to be either a darker limestone with more minerals to give it a darker appearance or possibly dolomite. Pleas watch new video and I will update. I realize what I am saying sounds impossible.

I think you can see the conclusion of the community here (some who have commented here are VERY familiar with dinosaur material) but you can take it to a museum or university and I’m sure they would be happy to give it a look as well. I feel it is my duty to warn of a confirmation bias of sorts, you may see the Douglas Adams quote below my comment in my signature for this. Please understand, I mean this in no way an angry or frustrated manor, just a simple warning. Congrats on the diamonds and I hope you have a happy new year @jason3124fish35!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

mother nature can certainly play tricks on you. I realize that the circle with raised bump that I see is suppose to be some sort of mollusk and that the teeth could be clams. It is unusual when they are located in certain positions showing symmetry.  the point behind what looks like the eye is like reptile. mother nature is playing with me possilbly.

It's too bad that you won't seem to listen to what pretty much everyone has to say here. And believe me, I don't say this to be mean. But making another video won't help. It's not what you think it is. This is not a dinosaur fossil, not any kind of mummy, not bone. This does not have any structure that we'd expect to see on actual bone. It's limestone.

Seriously, what you're seeing as just patterns that make it vaguely look like something it's not. This is geologic in origin.

We humans are programmed to see patterns in everything. This sometimes means we see things that aren't there.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

This is the second one of these suggestive "Rocks/Specimens" posted here in so many days.

Not a rarity by any means. Certainly not a mummy___________B)

Second one "as original post that is". My reply of earlier stone and subsequent pic is the third one.

Austin Texas has many of these sometimes found along roadside.

Be forewarned the local law enforcement frown on plucking them out of the roadside exposure. (First hand experience)

I found an area, along Lake Travis, where they are quite abundant.

Where you find these in nature it is usually indication of caving in the area. 

I put it my office. It is cool looking either way and starts conversations easily. I am told,  it looks like a head, and I think so too. I am the one who cleaned it too be that way I guess. I am thinking I cleaned it into this form without realizing what I am doing and it is in my subconscious mind.  I cant sand it up any farther. This is where the "not biologic in origin" or what I call the "dark area" starts and limestone ends. 

I thought I saw another one at the bank. So, I must have some issues.

I do see animal faces everywhere I look. Mostly on pottery, which is everywhere here in north Florida. I know the difference between what they carved and what I have.

I was able to get archaeologist job here for a couple of years and had a lot fun. I learned about some other rocks that look like heads, but they are carvings. Strange when the rocks look like a dino. 

Anyway thanks for feedback. I know I am alive. 

Attached is the best carving I have found and I think is amazing. It has many animal faces combined to make the whole. I see a fish. It is not a fossil. 

Jason

IMG_0656.JPG

On 1 janvier 2018 at 3:30 AM, jason3124fish35 said:

mother nature can certainly play tricks on you. I realize that the circle with raised bump that I see is suppose to be some sort of mollusk and that the teeth could be clams. It is unusual when they are located in certain positions showing symmetry.  the point behind what looks like the eye is like reptile. mother nature is playing with me possilbly.

On 1 janvier 2018 at 3:39 AM, ynot said:

She is a great jokester indeed.

On 1 janvier 2018 at 10:00 PM, JohnBrewer said:

Mother Nature has fooled all of us at some point :) 

One of her best joke that made most of human societies believe the gods observed them from above :

th-5.jpeg.d44b98e3757b3eb3b0a04edd62f0f34a.jpeg

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Archived