Any info on this tooth

Azwildcats78

Hello everyone I received this tooth which I bealive it to be either mastodon or mammoth I was told it was found in Texas and that's all I know any info on this tooth would be great. Would it be juvenile or a full grown animal and maybe a  approximate age of the tooth it does have some Stoney matrix on the tooth and a lot of cool enamal on the inside thanks to all .the weight of the tooth is 1047 grams. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That is a nice chunk of Woolly Mammoth tooth. This would have been from a grown animal. This is just a part of it, it would have been much larger if complete.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

2 hours ago, fossilized6s said:

Woolly Mammoth

If it was found in Texas I think not, would have to be Columbian Mammoth

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Here’s a picture from wikicommons, blue is woolly range (M. primigenius) and red Columbian (M. columbi) although I think there is (or was) some debate on the differences of the two if memory serves.

92ACA14A-DC7B-494B-91B3-17517AF13889.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

That was the story it came with if you say it's columbian than it must be this is my first mammoth tooth so I'm happy to find out the info you guys have been telling me thanks again. Matt. 

Mammoth. Nice one, too.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Your tooth is a partial, by the way. Not complete. If you want to get precise about it's age, then the only way to narrow that down would be to find out exactly where it was found and from which stratigraphic deposits it originates. Otherwise, all you can say is Pleistocene and somewhere between 1.8 million and 10,000 years old.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Partial mammoth molar, not mastodon.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived