Palm wood ?

Rockwood

From my first trip to the brooks a few years back. I just called it plant at the time.

Am I even close on either ?

IMG_4519a.jpg

IMG_4520a.jpg

They look a lot like some of the calamites fragments I've found. Mine are Carboniferous but I think they can be found into early Permian. 

Just a guess. 

7 minutes ago, ynot said:

It does not exhibit the fibrous nature of palm

Look at the lower right corner of the piece riding piggy back (on the right) in the second photo. That texture is more pronounced in them than shows in the photo.

Remember there is a lot of iron in those brooks.

53 minutes ago, Dewbunny said:

They look a lot like some of the calamites fragments I've found. Mine are Carboniferous but I think they can be found into early Permian. 

Just a guess. 

Some paleo fossils show up there. They are thought to be glacial eratics. They are all marine as far as I know.

Most of it is cretaceous though.

I agree with Tony. While it does appear to be pet wood, it does not look like palm to me either.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

57 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Angiosperm ?

Need better pictures of the grain to tell.

The larger piece looks similar to oak, but can not be sure from this oblique view.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks for the additional pictures.

The first picture resembles oak grain, but is a bit obscured so I am not positive.

The second picture looks like a non fossil rock. If it is the end view of the piece in the first picture I would go with not petrified wood on this piece.

Third picture - ?

It is impossible to identify wood without looking at the cellular structure.

12 minutes ago, ynot said:

If it is the end view of the piece in the first picture

It is.

I'll save the others for the day I get set up to thin section things like this. 

Thanks 

I think this one looks close to Palmoxylon.

IMG_4522.JPG.18ce13d72f0a800465a063bdb9ffd653.thumb.JPG.96a135d4e6906f28dcb5a974d260aefb.JPG42042-18.thumb.jpg.829980f299f76e52d797331eb52c0e5a.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

I think this one looks close to Palmoxylon.

I think abysunder may be right on this one, which makes Me wonder about the others.

Maybe better close up pictures of each item may lead to a different conclusion than I previously gave.

this looks like poorly preserved lag bone to me. The core of the bone has been decomposed, dissolved or whatever over time and the resistant outer portion preserved. A resistant clast of this size may have been reworked over several transgressions and regressions until it is basically a rock. My comment may not apply to all of these pieces.

19 hours ago, Plax said:

this looks like poorly preserved lag bone to me. The core of the bone has been decomposed, dissolved or whatever over time and the resistant outer portion preserved. A resistant clast of this size may have been reworked over several transgressions and regressions until it is basically a rock. My comment may not apply to all of these pieces.

This explanation is more in line with typical finds in the area. I understand lignite is common, but I've never seen mineralized wood from there. 

Questions: How light it is? Could you determine the specific gravity?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

6 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

I agree with unid. wood, unid. bone, and unid. object.

And, the lumper goes down in flames. :) 

6 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Hang in there. Flames can be good and can keep you warm. I have all kinds of scorch marks from my past adventures!! LOL. I keep picking up small unknowns and you just never know...Its much easier when you find something complete but how many times does that happen! 

Regards, Chris 

On 1/6/2018 at 3:45 AM, Rockwood said:

Unless that's a giant match stick you need to get credit for even recognizing these as fossils! This material is what ends up in "screen dumps" and occasionally one finds a real prize among the rejects. Unbiased collectors such as yourself are the exception not the norm.

On 1/8/2018 at 1:32 PM, Plax said:

Unless that's a giant match stick you need to get credit for even recognizing these as fossils! This material is what ends up in "screen dumps" and occasionally one finds a real prize among the rejects. Unbiased collectors such as yourself are the exception not the norm.

Don is absolutely correct! 

Continued hunting success.

Regards, Chris 

Archived