New FAMILY discovered

14 hours ago, Chippewa said:

That is an amazing find.  Congrat's and thanks for posting the letter - that's really cool.  

Oh and you're a genius with the naming.  You are likely to get more encouragement to go hunting :)

I don't think he needs encouragement. :D

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

On 1/1/2018 at 11:05 AM, FossilDudeCO said:

This is a huge announcement I have to make. It has been under wraps for quite a few months now and some of you may recall my damselfly find from the July 2017 Fossil of the Month contest.

Well a HUGE thanks is in order for @oilshale for pointing me in the direction of one of his friends to help identify this beautiful specimen.

Turns out this is not just a new species, or even genus, but an entirely new FAMILY that will soon be published!!!

This damselfly will be labeled as the type specimen (Holotype) for the Family, Genus, AND Species.

I donated this beautiful bug to my friends over at Fossil Butte National Monument where staff has been working to catalogue and name many of their unidentified insect specimens. This Damselfly will be a great addition for them as they build a new exhibit focused on insects of the Green River in the next year or so.

This bug was a very special find for me, and knowing that it was going to be the type specimen adds even more to it.

I haven't been able to post this in part because it was meant as a Christmas present for my wife. She was speechless to find out that the species will be named after her. 

I have no idea how I will ever up myself from this, but here's to trying.

This has definitely been a highlight in my fossil career and I can't imagine ever finding another type specimen. I am happy to know that you all will share in my excitement and when the paper is finally published I will make sure to share it here as well! 

Attached is a copy of the letter from Fossil Butte National Monument, edited of course, and if you read it you will see why!

damselfly_edited.thumb.png.bd2321847c7d46de2e2ab28190dfc79b.png

Congratulations that's a great thing to happen!