Toothy Rainbow: What is the weirdest colored shark tooth you have?

MeargleSchmeargl

5a4ab47924023_download(44).jpg.f772011bf05756656bfdf28cf2f8ad5d.jpg

I'm sure y'all are aware that fossil shark teeth come in many colors, from Bone Valley White to Jet Black. I've also heard of weirdly colored ones, including some that had purplish roots! So what is your weirdest colored tooth?

For me, it's a small one that has a pitch black root and a sky blue blade (no related image, though).

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

For me, it might be the one lodged in my mouth. I should see a dentist. :P 

Neat thread! We've had quite a lot of very colourful teeth posted here in the past many years, so I hope we'll be reacquainted with some of those vibrant finds!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I'll have to see if I have any photos available. Probably my oddest would be the ruby red teeth (mainly micros) that come from Shark Tooth Hill. Looking forward to seeing the parade of oddly colored teeth in this interesting idea for a topic.

Cheers.

-Ken

6 minutes ago, digit said:

I'll have to see if I have any photos available. Probably my oddest would be the ruby red teeth (mainly micros) that come from Shark Tooth Hill. Looking forward to seeing the parade of oddly colored teeth in this interesting idea for a topic.

Cheers.

-Ken

I think the oddest Meg I've seen is one that the Ditch Weasel (blackriverfossils) found in the video with 2 million views that had a purplish blotch on it's root.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

This is a fun topic. Here is an ocean worn example that displays a splotchy orange appearance. 5 6/16"

DSCN2511ac.thumb.jpg.7132e415ea1f123be02d306889485420.jpg

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

2 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

This is a fun topic. Here is an ocean worn example that displays a splotchy orange appearance. 5 6/16"

DSCN2511ac.thumb.jpg.7132e415ea1f123be02d306889485420.jpg

Looks like this one took the look of a Painted Lady butterfly.

On 1/1/2018 at 3:30 PM, Kane said:

For me, it might be the one lodged in my mouth. I should see a dentist. :P 

Neat thread! We've had quite a lot of very colourful teeth posted here in the past many years, so I hope we'll be reacquainted with some of those vibrant finds!

I have a blue and green tie-dyed crown on one of my molars... does that count?  

These are always fun .. we have had other threads like this and I am always amazed at what turns up....

Both from Florida ..

02_NorthCentral_FL_Hemi_Hawthorne_Miocene_101017.thumb.jpg.3f96f9715e5e3e3b00b2c884f07ee043.jpg

5a4c6966c3d4d_01_BoneValleyFL__Meg_090917_196.thumb.jpg.70b88943c6eb2f0c9e78352d8041a7bb.jpg

2 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

These are always fun .. we have had other threads like this and I am always amazed at what turns up....

Both from Florida ..

02_NorthCentral_FL_Hemi_Hawthorne_Miocene_101017.thumb.jpg.3f96f9715e5e3e3b00b2c884f07ee043.jpg

5a4c6966c3d4d_01_BoneValleyFL__Meg_090917_196.thumb.jpg.70b88943c6eb2f0c9e78352d8041a7bb.jpg

It looks like someone painted those! Really cool!

Little tooth that started it all:

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.25b8b07e87cf19447a78144d6b4238a5.jpg_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.19999d49adbaf33181ff941b37f4758d.jpg

1 hour ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Little tooth that started it all:

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.25b8b07e87cf19447a78144d6b4238a5.jpg_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.19999d49adbaf33181ff941b37f4758d.jpg

Pity you can't make sharper photos. I can't really see what you're talking about here.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

9 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

These are always fun

Wonderful images.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

4 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Wonderful images.

Thanks ... mother nature has some wicked painting skills.

11 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

It looks like someone painted those! Really cool!

1 hour ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Thanks ... mother nature has some wicked painting skills.

I am interested in what light source you utilized for the Hemipristis  image. ???

58 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

I am interested in what light source you utilized for the Hemipristis  image. ???

I used a scanner bulb haha (an old Epson photo scanner).... they work wonders on anything that has a more 2-dimensional aspect. There is some slight color correction involved and a few other tweaks but nothing too drastic. 

Cheers,

B

2 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

I used a scanner bulb haha (an old Epson photo scanner).... they work wonders on anything that has a more 2-dimensional aspect. There is some slight color correction involved and a few other tweaks but nothing too drastic. 

Excellent, the light is very well done in that shot. Macro lighting is tough. I will have to try the scanner route for flat, small pieces. Thanks. 

5 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Excellent, the light is very well done in that shot. Macro lighting is tough. I will have to try the scanner route for flat, small pieces. Thanks. 

Yes .... honestly it was the Elasmo site that turned me onto it. I probably spend more time positioning the tooth at various angles on the glass to get just the right "highlights" from the bulb as it passes over the fossil than anything else. I've tried adding fixed lights outside of the scanner bed with mixed results. The light temperatures are off and the color isn't right. http://www.elasmo.com/frameMe.html?file=refs/terms/scanning.html&menu=bin/menu_refs-alt.html

B

Although you really can't tell from the picture, this guy is yellow and pink with black spots. It's really hard to take a good photo through a glass case with a phone camera!

20180103_202540.jpg

This big boy 2 1/8" planus is pink above the root and tip ends and light blue in the center.

20180103_202801.jpg

8 hours ago, ynot said:

@MeargleSchmeargl

Nice colors on Your shark teeth.

Not all shark teeth, but some nice colors here....

If you're referring to the original post image, those teeth aren't mine. The other 2 images I posted is of my tooth.

I haven't gotten many myself, but if you are looking for some CRAZY colored shark teeth, take a look at this guy's Instagram account: @sharktoothcandy WOW :faint:

Btw, I think that it was made by one of our TFF members @tiburon , the hemi in this profile picture also appears in one of the posts on Instagram. 

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Those are some very colorful and different looking teeth that all of you have posted.

I love shark teeth especially Megs.

Archived