North Sulfur River area trip

KimTexan

5 hours ago, pamk7802 said:

I go fossil hunting alone and I have also been to the NSR by myself.  I am also a trail runner and love running solo and have come across bobcats, coyotes, and wild pigs.  It makes me run faster..lol.  I loved your story! Thank you for sharing. 

Good to hear I’m not the only woman out there.

The coyotes and bobcats don’t scare me. They prefer to avoid human contact as much as possible. I grew up with a lot of them around. 

I came across a very large bobcat just after Thanksgiving over in Arlington. I think it was the biggest I had ever seen. It was on the skinny side, but quite tall for a bobcat. 

I use to run 6 days a week for years. I loved running. That was my primary form of exercise back then, but I played sports and was quite active and went to the gym regularly too. Unfortunately I had an ice skating accident that ruined my left knee and I lost 2/3 of my cartilage. They told me I should avoid running and high impact sports, but I seem to do ok with hiking.

I hiked Camelback Mountain in Arizona a couple years after my knee surgery and it about did my knee in though. Stair step type activity is hard on my knee.

I really miss running though. I always ran outdoors. I never could stand treadmills or tracks. I’m happiest outdoors.

@Ludwigia Does Germany have as good of baculites as it has ammonites?

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, KimTexan said:

@Ludwigia Does Germany have as good of baculites as it has ammonites?

Hardly as much. In the south there are none at all, since the Cretaceous barely exists, and in the north they're not all that common and not nearly as well preserved as the American ones.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, KimTexan said:

What does the orange tag with the white star mean?

It's a popular post. Just put your cursor on it. It means that a good number of people find the post informative. Not sure after how many it clicks in. The admins would know. @Fossildude19 ?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

5 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

It's a popular post. Just put your cursor on it. It means that a good number of people find the post informative. Not sure after how many it clicks in. The admins would know. @Fossildude19 ?

I believe that it takes 4 clicks to get the informative badge.  :) 

If you hover a mouse over the tag, it reads,  " This is a popular post. "

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you. I see that now. I was on my phone at the time and it doesn't have a cursor to hover over the flag. I see now that it means people have followed the post or something like that.

Hi,

On 06/01/2018 at 7:37 AM, ynot said:

Running will often trigger the chase response in predators.

I would like to run in the evening in the black in the park near me but I am afraid of meeting wild boars because I know that there is, I saw crossing the road near the entrance of the park one evening, and during the day I see the tracks of their activity to search for food !

When the day begins to decline in the summer months, every time I am going to run over there I see deers, sometimes even deer with its baby. They are used to see runners and as long as we dont stop they just move of some meters and stay very close by. It is fantastic !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg