Dealing with questions from the public about your collecting while you are in the field.

Doctor Mud

Believe it or not, not everyone is familiar with the world of fossil hunting. Sometimes we might attract the attention of the uninitiated while out collecting. "What is that person up too?" They might think. You could be hammering away at an outcrop on a public roadside or beach or turning up all dirty carrying your rock pick and a heavy pack in a car park.

Through the years with fossil hunting and through collecting mud cores for work I've had this happen. The other day it was a group of surfers on a remote beach.

"Are you looking for gold with that little pick axe?" 

This is is a common question as who might imagine that people would spend so much time and effort hunting for long dead things. Sometimes I wonder if I did spend as much time hunting for gold as fossils.... but this is what drives me and the reward is worth more than gold to me.

Anyone else had to answer strange questions while collecting or have a common question they get asked?

How did I answer the surfers? Did I lie and say, "No, not gold, diamonds mate!". I was tempted as they obviously thought I was one weird dude. I paused for a second and then explained what I was actually doing. Being surfers, they appreciated the stories of the long dead sharks (including mega sharks) that I've found on the beach.

Through my job I do a lot of fieldwork and see this as a kind of outreach, we are ambassadors for our science when we are in the field. So, even though I've had much weirder questions throughout the years, I always try to explain what I am up to.

Look forward to others stories.

I tend to react in a similar way to yourself, although I must admit that there were a few moments where my sarcasm got the best of me at first. The only time that I was at a loss for words was when a forest ranger caught me at it in a questionable area. Fortunately he just gave me a warning and sent me on my way. Needless to say, I never pressed my luck there again :P

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

26 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I tend to react in a similar way to yourself, although I must admit that there were a few moments where my sarcasm got the best of me at first. The only time that I was at a loss for words was when a forest ranger caught me at it in a questionable area. Fortunately he just gave me a warning and sent me on my way. Needless to say, I never pressed my luck there again :P

Yes - sarcasm is usually what I want to respond with when the question is more like "what heck are you up to you, you look weird". Honest curiosity is easier to deal with, but sometimes people may come off as condescending when they are just curious.

I sure had my share of encounters like yours. I used to sneak into an abandoned marl pit when I was a kid to hunt for fossils. Someone bought it and started using it to dump demolition rubble. Got busted by the owners dog while I was burrowing into the cliff.

When it happens to me, I usually tell people what we are up to and show them what we've found so far. I always hope to inspire others to find a love for science. I also believe in trying to be friendly to all and trying to leave this world a little better than the way I found it. You never know how your actions can change someone's life.

Out in the Great Basin of Nevada, I hunt for fossils on BLM land, where collection of invertebrate/plant fossils is allowed. I rarely encounter other people, and when I do, they're often on horseback or ATVs. They're generally curious, and occasionally stop to ask what I'm doing, to which I reply that I'm looking for fossils. I'll normally show them one, explain the process to discover them in the damp, soft matrix, and then receive a few compliments on the fossils before they continue on their way. Sometimes, at more frequented locations, including the well-known Oak Springs Trilobite Site on the Eastern side of my state, there'll be other fossil hunters, often staying near me to see if I have any luck. In that case, I'll guide them to an exposure, give them some of my finds, and introduce them to the wonders of the prehistoric world. I always hope to have inspired someone, since a small deed such as giving them a trilobite easily has the power to spark a lifelong passion. 

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.

I've had many "a wild stranger appeared" encounters before. As others have said, when they ponder what I'm doing, I just show them one of my finds from the site and explain to them what it is. The starry-eyed expression I get from most is priceless, and quite fulfilling. Though usually when I come face-to-face with others, they're hunting at the spot as well, and I like tagging along as a temporary hunting companion, that's always fun.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

My close encounters where I collect are mostly with rattlesnakes, scorpions, bobcats, badgers, fire ants that can hurt you so two legged ones would be welcomed :D  

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

...that want to hurt you...

That's a bit unfair...these creatures really want nothing to do with us. :) 

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

2 minutes ago, PFOOLEY said:

That's a bit unfair...these creatures really want nothing to do with us. :) 

Very true, modified my comment

3 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Very true, modified my comment

:D  I may be weird, but would rather run into rattlesnakes than people...I hardly ever see any of the latter when out in the field. Many years ago, while hiking back from a remote outcrop, I noticed a gentleman walking towards me. My first reaction was "what in the heck is this guy doing out here?". When we met, he seemed to know what I was doing out there (as he was up to the same) and we quickly began discussing ammonites! Years later I found that guy again...it was when I joined this Forum. He is not very active here anymore but @2ynpigo, if you are still around, come back and share some stories!

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

My close encounters where I collect are mostly with rattlesnakes, scorpions, bobcats, badgers, fire ants that can hurt you so two legged ones would be welcomed :D  

Wow you really need to be very aware of your surroundings when you in Hell Creek then. Rattlesnakes and badgers now they would really worry me . 

This has made me appreciate my little Hell Creek collection even more. 

Take care Bobby 

This is a great subject.

Summer before last I was at a local river site. I was waist deep in the water, screen floating beside me and shovel in hand. a man about my age paddled up on a kayak. After exchanging greetings, he asked what I was doing. I explained that I was searching for fossils, that this site contained shark, fish and reptile fossils from the Cretaceous era. I showed him some of what I had found, even gave him a Scapanorhynchus tooth. He listened intently and then asked, do you think they got here from the great flood? I answered by saying that the ocean had risen and fallen many times and each time it left deposits from that eon. He went on to inform me that the only time the ocean had ever covered the land was when the great flood had been cast upon us. It became an uncomfortable situation; his beliefs versus my knowledge and belief of science. I told him that while I respected his beliefs, I did not share his thoughts about the great flood. We talked for a short bit after that about other things, he had fishing rods with him. He was very respectful of my beliefs also, so that really helped keep things civil. 

I have seen him several times since then. He always paddles over and we talk for a bit and he always asks questions about what I am finding. He always leaves with a fossil or two, something different each time. He is amassing quite a site specific collection. I have never gotten his name, nor him mine. 

So, I guess the best way to deal with the inevitable questions is to be honest, be respectful and always remember there are alternative views out there. Accept that fact and state facts. Give the person a fossil or two. You might make a "friend" out of it.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

At Arkona, I'll occasionally bump into other people who are there to fish. The exchanges are brief but pleasant, where they ask how I made out in the rocks and I ask if they've caught anything good. Enough people go there to collect fossils, so the sight of someone carrying a bunch of tools doesn't really trigger suspicion. On other occasions, I might bump into other collectors, but we generally give each other sufficient space to work after a brief chit-chat or showing each other what we've found so far. Sometimes if I find something the other collector is searching for that I'm not, I hand it over.

At some other locations, there might be someone who passes by and clearly sees what I'm up to, and may ask if I'm having any luck. Occasionally, the person may offer some kind of anecdote about finding a fossil in their travels, or may ask what kind of fossils I am finding. Generally, though, I collect discreetly, not wishing to call much attention to what I'm doing. Obviously I don't bring all my wrecking equipment to public spaces or municipal parks where I might do some very light surface collecting. As it is illegal to collect from provincial parks, I collect photos instead.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I have had 3 types of response when I inform "looky lou's" of My reasons for being out there.

1. "eh, what a waste of time". Waki away laughing.

2. "Wow, that is cool" Further questions about the activity.

3. Blank stare.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I was out collecting in The Tunisian Sahara, in an area that was supposed to contain fossil fresh water gastropods of reasonable size. 

As often happens, I soon had a following of thirty or so small children asking for pens, sweets and money and curious as to what on Earth i was doing. I responded with my usual good natured snarls and mild threats. 

I had not  yet learned the Arabic for snail ( halzun, or babbouche in Morocco) so I couldn't explain what I was doing. A couple of them brought me pretty stones and bits of quartz, calcite and so on which i ungratefully refused. 

Finally, I remembered that they often speak French there, as it was a French colony and so I said, "Escargot" 

They started collecting actual snails for me, though where they found them I'll never know as it was a very dry area, though most of the shells were empty and crumbling. Again I got irritated with the children. 

Finally, I found a half of a fossil snail and very pleased with myself was examining it with the kids looking over my shoulders to see what I was so interested in. 

They were amazed and I explained they were very old, Miocene and thus millions of years old. 

They went away looking rather confused but came drifting back in ones or twos over the next hour - with fossil gastropods! 

They must have found a couple of kilos for me, including some excellent specimens it would have taken weeks to find on my own and I only had the afternoon at this locality. 

Lesson learned, Adam.:D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Interestingly I had an encounter with my 90 year old neighbor yesterday.  He came over to see how I was doing.  I have been down for a few weeks.  He has lived in this area for 37 plus years.  He made the comment. 'You sure have a lot of rocks on your dinning table".  He picked up a few to look at them and noticed some small pieces of fossils in the matrix.  So I pulled out one I just got done doing some prep to.  I showed him it and told him it was about 300 million years old.  He asked how do I know that.  I explain that it came from the Devonian period and was laid down in this area that long ago.  He then seemed amazed that I understood the time periods and that the fossil was that old.

I also enjoy showing off any cool fossil to noobs and explaining what it is they are looking at.  Where it came from and why it is not from the dinosaur era.

Tidgy's dad.  You are lucky they were children that you replied to in such a way as an adult may have understood your body language and left you be. 

But instead they became interested in what you were doing and decided to help a strange man out.

Who knows?  You may have inspired a new and budding Paleontologist.

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Tidgy's dad.  You are lucky they were children that you replied to in such a way as an adult may have understood your body language and left you be. 

But instead they became interested in what you were doing and decided to help a strange man out.

Strange man? Me? 

Pah! 

Just off to count my legs. ^_^

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

27 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

they became interested in what you were doing and decided to help a strange man out.

Are you kidding?! They were just hanging about in hopes of getting money, sweets or pens(?!!!).  Pens? Really?  What are they aspiring novelists?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Are you kidding?! They were just hanging about in hopes of getting money, sweets or pens(?!!!).  Pens? Really?  What are they aspiring novelists?

Biros were a very rare commodity in North Africa back then, so yes, all the aspiring novelists, poets and country folk wanted to be able to write at school. Children would be praised by the family if they returned home with a pen. I used to carry bundles of them, but not on that occasion. 

I gave them a bit of money at the end of the day, much to their surprise at that point. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

I do the same as the others have mentioned, I always have things to pass out to curious people. If I am out of state , I usually bring Mazon Creek stuff with me to give out, I like to hold onto recent finds if I am a new site, but if common I will pass on.

I do the same if I visit small Rock / Fossil stores out West, I always bring stuff to give to the owner, never looking to get anything in return.

Like troodon, most of my collecting is done in remote p[laces, so I rarely run into other humans.  

A few years ago, caterpillar and I were collecting ammonites on a ranch that I had permission from the landowner, when a pickup truck came zooming up overland to me.  It was the beginning of hunting season so there were a lot of antelope hunters out, although none on this little piece of land.  I had only met the rancher once a few years earlier, so I was unsure of exactly what he looked like. When the guy drove up to me and angrily asked what we were doing out there saying that you hunters should ask permission, I asked if he was (insert landowner name here).  He said no but that he was his partner.  I told him that we had (insert landowner's name here)'s permission to collect fossils and showed him an ammonite I had just found and he was mildly satisfied but mad at (insert landowner's name here) for not keeping him in the loop.  I had no idea the guy had a partner.  I was thankful that he approached me and not my collecting buddy who speaks very little English.  I am not sure how Mr Partner would have reacted.  

But the weirdest question I ever got was...

I used to run Western Paleo Safaris, taking people fossiling out here in Wyoming.  I had business magnets on my truck advertising it.  A guy approached me at a gas station and asked about my business.  I explained it to him.  He looked a bit interested and asked me totally straigh-faced seriously a question that I left me stumped as to how to answer with a laugh.  "Do you ever get the Swedish Bikini team to come out on your trips?"  (This was years after the ads on TV featuring said Swedish Bikini Team stopped airing).

I don’t generally get comments on what I’m doing as my hunting grounds are either remote and I don’t see anyone or they places where likeminded are and we show of each other’s finds, without giving the exact location of course! The comments I am more used to are between car and field as I tend to wear a utility kilt. 

Archived