Fossildude19

A new year is upon us! While many of us suffer the wrath of winter, others are lucky enough to enjoy more seasonable collecting weather. 

Those who are able to hunt should get out there and get to it! Those who can hunt the spoil piles of their workshops should do so. 

Those micro fossil matrices that are in the back of the garage should be brought out to the light, and get gone through. 

No matter how you come about it, it is time once again to enter your submissions for Fossil of the Month, for January, 2018!

Remember...PLEASE carefully read all of the rules below, ... make sure you include all the required information, in the requested format,

and submit your fossil! 

If you have a question about a possible entry, please send me a PM. 

Please pay special attention to Rule #5: Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for Prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest. In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds. Best of success to all, and good hunting!

Entries will be taken until midnight on JANUARY 31st.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. You find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found by you. NO PURCHASED FOSSILS.

2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry. (Only two entries per contest category.)

3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or most of the significant Preparation of your Fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.

4. You must include the Date of your Discovery (when found in the contest month); or the Date of Preparation Completion and Discovery date (if not found in the contest month).

5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest.

6. You must include the common or scientific name.

7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the Fossil was found.

8. You must include the State, Province, or region where the Fossil was found.

9. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. 

So, only entries posted with a CLEAR photo and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll. 

*******Please use the following format for the required information:*******

Date of discovery

Scientific or Common name

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation

State, Province, or Region found

Photos (if prepped, before and after photos, please.)

Photos of the winning specimens may be posted to TFF's Facebook page.

Once the Contest Submission period has ended, after all the votes are tallied, and the Polls for both categories are closed, we will know the two winning Finds of the Month for JANUARY 2018 !  

Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!

Good luck! :D

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 featured this topic

Happy New Year to all fossil hunters :) 

I started this year with a trip to Gnaszyn - which is a clay pit in the centre of Poland (photo attached). Since it is an active mine, it is possible to enter only on Sundays or holidays - I was there on January 1st. I found this huge ammonite - I didn't split it, I found it in two pieces, because they break when rolling down the hill. Its diameter is 25 cm and it weighs 8 kg! (I hope you will appreciate my effort of carrying it all the way back from the bottom of the pit to my car parked half a kilometre away - and let me add, it was not the only piece I found this time :))

Date of discovery: 01.01.2018

Scientific or Common name: Asphinctites tenuiplicatus ammonite

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: Bathonian 

State, Province, or Region found: Gnaszyn, Poland

Photos: 

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

gnaszyn.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

WOW! 

What a terrific start to the year!:)

Congratulations on that super find, though the location looks a bit grim! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

WOW! 

What a terrific start to the year!:)

Congratulations on that super find, though the location looks a bit grim! 

Grim, maybe, but fossil-rich too... And that's what counts the most! :D

Congrats @Kasia, that is one huge ammonite. :dinothumb:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

14 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Grim, maybe, but fossil-rich too... And that's what counts the most! :D

Congrats @Kasia, that is one huge ammonite. :dinothumb:

Thanks a lot :) @Max-fossils @Tidgy's Dad

The location is a really tough one - this particular visit ended up with me and my Mom losing our wellies in the clay! The shoes got so "sucked in" the clay that it was really impossible to drag them out of it. We had the first-hand experience similar to mammoths drowning in such swamps - not a nice feeling, let me tell you. After half an hour of a futile struggle to pull the boots out, we gave up and on the way back to the car we were walking in our socks - we are lucky this is not a typical winter time here, because otherwise we would ended up in a hospital with frostbite. Anyway, despite the loss of a part of our gear :) we liked the place and we will certainly come back - only maybe when the clay gets a bit dryer :) 

3 minutes ago, Kasia said:

Thanks a lot :) @Max-fossils @Tidgy's Dad

The location is a really tough one - this particular visit ended up with me and my Mom losing our wellies in the clay! The shoes got so "sucked in" the clay that it was really impossible to drag them out of it. We had the first-hand experience similar to mammoths drowning in such swamps - not a nice feeling, let me tell you. After half an hour of a futile struggle to pull the boots out, we gave up and on the way back to the car we were walking in our socks - we are lucky this is not a typical winter time here, because otherwise we would ended up in a hospital with frostbite. Anyway, despite the loss of a part of our gear :) we liked the place and we will certainly come back - only maybe when the clay gets a bit dryer :) 

:rofl:

Well, if you find fossils like that one, seems like it may still be worth it!

Wonder what the face of paleontologists 10'000 years in the future will be like when they find fossil wellies :headscratch:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

39 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

:rofl:

Well, if you find fossils like that one, seems like it may still be worth it!

Wonder what the face of paleontologists 10'000 years in the future will be like when they find fossil wellies :headscratch:

That's what we were laughing about when leaving the shoes behind :) If they find no skeletons nearby, it will be for sure a nice puzzle for them :D

35 minutes ago, Kasia said:

That's what we were laughing about when leaving the shoes behind :) If they find no skeletons nearby, it will be for sure a nice puzzle for them :D

Indeed! :ighappy:

Max Derème

Decided to throw this into the hat.

Found 1-6-18, Brown County Texas, Carboniferous, Productid sp. Brachiopods

Thought this was interesting since it shows the interior of one of the valves along with others.

Thanks

1-8-18IMG_1224.jpg

1-8-18IMG_1225.jpg

1-8-18IMG_1226.jpg

@thair nice find!

Max Derème

6 hours ago, oldtimer said:

@thair  Very nice find.  How much prep did you have to do?

Not to much. Toothbrush and dental pick to remove some soft clay and a little stuff stuck on a few of the shells. Thanks

Can't wait to get a submission later this month! Going places for school this month (or early February).

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

• Cris unfeatured this topic

I posting up my Invert. entry for the January FOTM.  I took a good friend out yesterday. Jan. 21st. for the first time. They are from Missouri and the Crinoid is their State fossil so the find was an extra special find for me as I gave it to them and turned on a new person to fossil collecting and explained how old it was. They now have the bug.  This was a new area for me to hunt in. I did not know what we would find if anything. This was the only visible fossil we found. We were in the Spring River of NE Oklahoma. Ottawa County close to Quapaw and the site of an old Indian encampment.  The period is upper Devonian to lower Carboniferous. The Crinoid traces are 3 1/2 inches each and the rock is 81/2 by 5 inches in size. I know this probably not be a winner but I am posting because it was a hard find and I wanted to further their excitement in the hobby.1528634a-c0f8-4de3-92cd-e466b67f8302.thumb.jpg.edd06a4c097779e1aa1131c160290063.jpg

34 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I posting up my Vert. entry for the January FOTM...

Crinoids are invertebrates in the Phylum Echinodermata.

2 hours ago, Heteromorph said:

Crinoids are invertebrates in the Phylum Echinodermata.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake.  I'll blame it early morning and not enough coffee.

It's corrected.

17 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Thanks for pointing out my mistake.  I'll blame it early morning and not enough coffee.

It's corrected.

Glad to help. :)

Can you ever have enough coffee?!

The vertebrate hunters better pull out their snow shovels and get going, just a little over a week left in the month!

What the hey, I guess I'll toss my hat into the vertebrate ring this month.

Allodesmus cheek tooth

Mid. Miocene (approx. 15 mya)

Round Mountain Silt Formation

East side of Kern River 

Bakersfield, California

Dug up January 14, 2018

20180122_192616.jpg

20180122_192656.jpg

20180122_192726.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

There needs to be a little competition here :) 

I stumbled upon this mess on the top of a hill while hiking.  Everything I found was eroded out, nothing in situ.  I collected most of it that day and returned about a week later to find some more.  I hope to find more at some point.  I think that most of what I have are rib and vert pieces as well as a handful of teeth.

Associated Phytosaur bones

Late Triassic (202-204 mya)

Redonda Formation

Ragland, New Mexico

Discovered January 7, 2018

WP_20180122_20_12_43_Pro.jpg

• I found this Informative 2