Washing up of dinosaur eggs

Crazyhen

Hi, I often see sellers from China wetting the dinosaur eggs to highlight the shell structure.  Does washing up of the egg fossil damage the fossil or increase the risk of breaking apart?

BE4C08A8-B518-4C03-9997-80199ECCB2B7.jpeg

EB5D767B-669F-4E4A-9665-116C671EE019.jpeg

Yes! A distinct possibility. Eggs I have handled are supported by matrix that is extremely hydrophillic. This material has a reddish color. I believe soaking one of these pieces may well result in a sink full of mud and egg shell. I have wiped prep debris off the shell with a damp cloth with no ill effect; but I have tested small shards of matrix via soaking, and they rapidly took on water and turned to mush. Your mileage may vary.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

As snolly50 said, your results will vary, but it's a definite risk.

If you want to clean your fossils, use a damp cloth. I've cleaned mud off my eggs like that with no issues at all.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Maybe said egg salespeople glue pieces together and worry little of the egg disintegrating. Just gotta be careful when buying whole eggs.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

• 3 weeks later...

That's a beautiful egg!  I would be very nervous getting them wet, especially one as nice as that!!

Archived