Meglodon tooth origin?

Hardman.digs

Hello all! Hope everyone's years are off to a happy and huntfull start! Well I started the year off spending some Christmas cash on a meglodon tooth. (Having only found fragments myself) any way I was wondering if there is a tie between locations and colors of teeth. I found this beauty at an pass-proof price. It is a beautiful orange/red. At 5 inches almost exactly. The previous owner says it came from the st. Mary's river area of Georgia. (Pretty close to where I was when I got it). I am just curious if this is a common color for other areas or even in the st Mary's area?  Thank you all for any input.

20180103_122301.jpg

Not a clue! 

But that is one beautiful tooth! :)

Happy New Year! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I have collected megalodon (note the spelling) teeth from the St. Mary's River (a dive only for the advanced blackwater diver).  All the teeth I have seen have been the typical charcoal/silverish color of river teeth.  The tooth must have been buried, protected from river staining.  Nice.

meg_11_lingual.JPG

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Harry, thanks for the spelling catch haha. And he did mention it was from a "dry site".  Also I respect the heck out of you who are Blackwater divers! Maybe I'll find a dry site of my own one day! 

Several years ago (at a fossil fair) some vendors had St Mary's meg teeth for sale that were a beautiful reddish brown color. I only saw these teeth for a year or two and haven't seen any for sale since.  It's possible that this tooth is from the St Mary's River; however it's always a fool's errand to assume a location entirely on color alone. I wish more vendors focused on provenance rather than just cycling their inventory.

Like Harry said, most of the mineralization colors on shark teeth in general end up being what's called Jet Black. Other colors such as cream and bone valley white usually depend on the formation's matrix color and exposure duration at the surface. 

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.