New Scope and Lenses

Kane

Was surprised to receive a few packages very far ahead of anticipated delivery date.

The first is an OMAX 3.5x - 90x trinocular scope with boom arm. If I'm going to be doing more detailed prep, a stereo scope with boom arm to position over a blast box is an absolute must. Of course, it came in a zillion pieces and the instruction manual was for an entirely different model that bore very little resemblance to the one I was putting together. :wacko: But after an hour of trial and error - and some very colourful language -  it is all assembled. I've taken it out for its test run, and works great with wide-field eye pieces and a Barlow lens so I can work at a reasonable distance. The magnification is not high, but any higher would not be useful for prep. Blowing up a half inch specimen to a large detailed view is sufficient enough to get at the nooks and crannies.

The software it came with was not going to be helpful to me as it came on a CD (Mac discontinued CD/DVD drives on their machines a few iterations ago), and so after some online hunting I found the right software for download. Still a lot to learn about microscope photography as what you see in the eye piece is not necessarily what you see on the screen. It also means pulling out a stop to divert light from one of the eye pieces to the mounted camera. Eventually I'll figure out how to match up the eye view to the camera view (there is some helpful advice online, and a lot of things I can adjust in the software). So pictured here was just a quick and simple (if not fuzzy) first snap of a 5mm Itagnostus interstricta. I know, fuzzy... :P As I said, a lot to learn!

Second item are these handy jeweller's glasses with lenses of different strength to swap in and out as needed. The little LED lights on the side are very helpful. These will be useful when I'm doing sewing needle prep and need my hands free (rather than holding a loupe). Also handy when I need to have a quick look at some detail in the field when I'm away from the scope. Oh, and they also makes me look like a demented 1950s sci-fi villain, which will help frighten door-to-door salespeople or small children. :D 

Ah, new toys!

IMG_4428.JPG

fullsizeoutput_38d.jpeg

IMG_4427.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Just now, JohnBrewer said:

Oh, I wanna see a selfie of you wearing the jewellery glasses. Promise I won’t laugh. Honestly. :P 

If you weren't going to laugh, what would be the point? :P:D Besides, I would need to acquire a lab coat to complete the look first!

34 minutes ago, Kane said:

Was surprised to receive a few packages very far ahead of anticipated delivery date.

The first is an OMAX 3.5x - 90x trinocular scope with boom arm. If I'm going to be doing more detailed prep, a stereo scope with boom arm to position over a blast box is an absolute must. Of course, it came in a zillion pieces and the instruction manual was for an entirely different model that bore very little resemblance to the one I was putting together. :wacko: But after an hour of trial and error - and some very colourful language -  it is all assembled. I've taken it out for its test run, and works great with wide-field eye pieces and a Barlow lens so I can work at a reasonable distance. The magnification is not high, but any higher would not be useful for prep. Blowing up a half inch specimen to a large detailed view is sufficient enough to get at the nooks and crannies.

The software it came with was not going to be helpful to me as it came on a CD (Mac discontinued CD/DVD drives on their machines a few iterations ago), and so after some online hunting I found the right software for download. Still a lot to learn about microscope photography as what you see in the eye piece is not necessarily what you see on the screen. It also means pulling out a stop to divert light from one of the eye pieces to the mounted camera. Eventually I'll figure out how to match up the eye view to the camera view (there is some helpful advice online, and a lot of things I can adjust in the software). So pictured here was just a quick and simple (if not fuzzy) first snap of a 5mm Itagnostus interstricta. I know, fuzzy... :P As I said, a lot to learn!

Second item are these handy jeweller's glasses with lenses of different strength to swap in and out as needed. The little LED lights on the side are very helpful. These will be useful when I'm doing sewing needle prep and need my hands free (rather than holding a loupe). Also handy when I need to have a quick look at some detail in the field when I'm away from the scope. Oh, and they also makes me look like a demented 1950s sci-fi villain, which will help frighten door-to-door salespeople or small children. :D 

Ah, new toys!

IMG_4428.JPG

fullsizeoutput_38d.jpeg

IMG_4427.JPG

Let us know how you like the jeweler’s glasses.  I’ve been thinking about getting something but I want something with a good working distance.  And looking forward to seeing your microscope photos.

12 minutes ago, Kane said:

If you weren't going to laugh, what would be the point? :P:D Besides, I would need to acquire a lab coat to complete the look first!

Ok, I’ll laugh. Just to humour you. You can borrow my lab coat. 

9E46FC3E-C1C7-4E37-A214-F5EA32C96F51.thumb.jpeg.9ae0f247a50af24dcc5ab2ddaf76e7fe.jpeg

Now go and put them on and post a selfie! :D 

• I found this Informative 2

What splendid new toys! :)

i'm currently in the middle of prepping an Itagnostus using pins and a jeweller's loupe.

I need to get wifey to invest in some new toys. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

27 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Ok, I’ll laugh. Just to humour you. You can borrow my lab coat. 

9E46FC3E-C1C7-4E37-A214-F5EA32C96F51.thumb.jpeg.9ae0f247a50af24dcc5ab2ddaf76e7fe.jpeg

Now go and put them on and post a selfie! :D 

Fine, John, you big bully! :P 

I'm going for the Lex Luthor look. The caption might read, "Why, yes, I'm VERY interested in switching to Geico. Please tell me MORE!"

@Sagebrush Steve Playing around with them a bit more, it does seem you have to have the object up fairly close to the lens. They were marketed for watch repair, and given the magnification, I can see why! The inward facing LEDs are very bright and bring out some amazing detail. The closer you get, the more light you need.

@Tidgy's Dad You might find the scope will make your life a bit easier, but it is a bit pricey.

IMG_4429.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

And you can certainly get at the right distance for prep. This is a Greenops as it appeared on the screen:

3.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Yup, much, much more beautiful! :wub:

That's very impressive but I think i'll need to save my pocket money for quite a while. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

28 minutes ago, Kane said:

Fine, John, you big bully! :P 

I'm going for the Lex Luthor look. The caption might read, "Why, yes, I'm VERY interested in switching to Geico. Please tell me MORE!"

@Sagebrush Steve Playing around with them a bit more, it does seem you have to have the object up fairly close to the lens. They were marketed for watch repair, and given the magnification, I can see why! The inward facing LEDs are very bright and bring out some amazing detail. The closer you get, the more light you need.

@Tidgy's Dad You might find the scope will make your life a bit easier, but it is a bit pricey.

IMG_4429.JPG

Maybe the Back to the Future look?

5a4d544a31f7f_CLloyd.jpg.dfcd13d5aa6f10268edfaaedc71156a6.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

@Kane do you think you will use the 90x for prep? I've been debating getting an amscope with 5x-20x, but not sure how much I'd really need. I think it would be fun for the kids to use as well.

22 minutes ago, smt126 said:

@Kane do you think you will use the 90x for prep? I've been debating getting an amscope with 5x-20x, but not sure how much I'd really need. I think it would be fun for the kids to use as well.

I think 90x is a bit too high for prep, but if the scope can go that high it would be great for kids to explore the micro world (and the kid in all of us, too) :)

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:23 PM, smt126 said:

I've got a Wild M5 microscope that steps from 6X to 50X and I'd say the magnifications I use most often are 6X and 12X.  I rarely use 50X and have never found the need to go higher.  I'm mostly prepping trilobites, ammonites, and Green River fish.

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks for the info. I'll probably stick to the 5x to 20x myself. I don't feel like dropping that kind of cash right now after being informed this week I had to take a 6 percent Pay cut.

I use 10X for prepping. Any higher is very cumbersome.

@Kane you definitely need the lab coat, not just for the mad scientist part. They are wonderful for keeping prep dust off your clothes. I wear one all the time when I prep, even when not using power tools. That's a very nice scope. They make all the difference in the quality of the prep.