Ventral Crab From Washington

RJB

I wasnt going to start this crab till Febuary but was sick and tired of trying to finish up some of B-Grade crabs and started this today.  I had some really high hopes for this crab.  I get started removing rock and finally got down to crab, and,,,,,,, DANG!!!  Ran into the ventral side!  DANG!!!    Went into the house and made me a wiskey and coke and sat back down to think about this.  Thought to myself, "ok, I might as well do a ventral side".    A bit scary since ive never really done this side before and realized that Im gunna have to attack it in a steep bowl style of prep.  Gunna be real interesting.  Just hope I can do a good job?  I dont know this side of a crab so im going to take it slow.  My fingers are crossed.

RB

VCrabA.JPG

VCrabB.JPG

Good luck with that. So far it seems to be going well. :) And if anything goes a little sideways, that's where the glue comes in handy!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Good luck, Ron!

:fingerscrossed::popcorn:

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I'm sure you'll do a good job, Ron. One of the first crabs I ever prepped, and I really don't get the chance to do them that often, turned out to be a ventral. I had no idea what I was looking at at first, and had to get some advice from someone who knew better. It turned out quite fine in the end, though and even won the FOTM. Link

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Gunna be real interesting.  Just hope I can do a good job?  I dont know this side of a crab so im going to take it slow.  My fingers are crossed.

I am glued to the set! I have all confidence in Your making it a beautiful crab belly rock.

Time for more popcorn.:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Mine are crossed for You too!:fingerscrossed:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

The suspense! :popcorn:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice progress so far.  I can share in your fear of messing it up.  I have been prepping on some of my finds.

I stick to shells and items that I can practice on.

Good luck,  Somehow I know you will do a great job.

Can't wait to see the completed work.

Ok, I got a late start today, I had to do some snow removal for a few hours but finally got around to doing some more prep work in this little upside down baby!!!  Its actually starting to look purty good!   didnt have a clue on how hard these are to prep, but just taking my time and doing what I do.  A real 'bowl' job this one!!!  the shell material is really really soft too.  makes for a real tuff job for sure!  Glad I have more patience nowadays. 

RB

VCrabC.JPG

Aaaaaalrighty then.  Ive put in some more hours and I now have a 5 legger so far.  Im gunna do some more  3-D-ing and hopefully find one more?  Tuff job for sure, but at the same time, its getting very exciting.  gots a long ways to go. Its not so much a bowl anymore but finding more legs may prove impossible?  if they are staked, then thats the way it is?  Time will tell.  Im still quite happy with this upside down specimen.

RB

VCrabD.JPG

This is gonna be reeeaaaal nice!

I love ventral crab preps. Not done as often as they are trickier but I find them really interesting.

One for the RJB collection?

17 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That's a cool change to the typical crab orientation.

Yeah, its gunna be cool, but its not what im use too prepping. I have to think backwards!!!

14 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

I love ventral crab preps. Not done as often as they are trickier but I find them really interesting.

One for the RJB collection?

Yeah, trickier, and yeah, this one will go into the collection. 

RB

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Yeah, its gunna be cool, but its not what im use too prepping. I have to think backwards!!!

Just turn your prep station upside down. Then everything will seem normal. :P

Gees Ron, this is the first ventral crab prep you've done after all of these years....Wow.  Nice looking and with legs down to the tippies.  Yeah, they are much more of a pain to do with all of the parts and divisions, but also more interesting especially with the mouth parts showing.  Looks like you got a young lady there.

On 1/7/2018 at 7:02 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

Just turn your prep station upside down. Then everything will seem normal. :P

Funny. 

22 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

Gees Ron, this is the first ventral crab prep you've done after all of these years....Wow. 

years ago I tried doing one but gave up do to some disarticulation and very very sticky.  I was going to tackle two more a couple of years ago but sold them so i wouldnt ahve to go through the pain.  :)

I got a late start yesterday but ran into the last two legs on the right side of this rock and have started the smoothing process.  This will be done in about 4 more hours or so.  Gunna be real nice this one!!!

RB

VCrabE.JPG

Came to this late, Ron.  Busy hunting last 3 days!! You are an artist.  SWEET!!!!! I mostly liked crabs -- any kind, but until I started following you, they were the eating variety. :popcorn:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Archived