Back in the ditch

Ludwigia

In contrast to the present below freezing temps in my homeland, things over here in southern Germany are comparatively balmy at the moment. At least it's well above freezing, there's no more snow below 3000 feet and it only rains sometimes. So I took another trip out to my favorite ditch in the Danube Valley and did a bit of digging to see if I could uncover some more of the not-so-easy-to-reach early Kimmeridgian hypselocelum zone at the site. After an hour or so of scratching away at the overburden, I managed to expose some of it and came away with a few finds. The finds are not quite as spectacular as the divisum zone where I usually do my digs, since the preservation is often not good at all due to the mostly relatively soft clay in the fossiliferous layers, but every once in a while it gets concretionary and the occasional nice thing can then pop out. I found a few small ammonites and as usual in this reef, the sponges were abundant, so I couldn't resist taking along a couple of those as well.

Ataxioceras perayense. 4.5cm.

A1348a.jpg.4710e02f573cfc8c06e5beddd69831d6.jpg

Streblites tenuilobatus. 5.5cm.

A1349a.jpg.980763ee9107bf39a92d04f1b8ae2fee.jpg

Cnemidriastrum stellatum. 6x7cm.

Po73a.thumb.jpg.a37f99220d3dc5e57e5d5df59dea9536.jpg

Po73b.thumb.jpg.1f7a20fd7508b0d9c8a6d0b115351f89.jpg

Unidentified sponge. 3x5cm. I had to piece this one back together.

Po99a.thumb.jpg.229853a0e14e8f9f46c7fce025ed3b08.jpg

Po99b.thumb.jpg.7a92f29d29403321fe88fc2822ca55af.jpg

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Looks like you were successful in locating some "firmer" spots in that layer. Not a bad trip at all! Nice detail on the Streblites:ammonite01:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Really nice! 

Another great start to the year. 

I love the ammonites, but particularly the sponges if that won't make you too angry! :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Roger, your latest finds from the Ditch make me nostalgic for that wonderful day in May with you and my companions. The Ataxioceras looks awesome and that Streblites I'm guessing is large for that species.  Congratulations and thanks for sharing. By the way, my fossil collecting is on hold now on account of the freezing weather and will remain so for the foreseeable future.   

Those are some beautiful specimens for it not being a very spectacular dig. Nice detail.

9 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Really nice! 

Another great start to the year. 

I love the ammonites, but particularly the sponges if that won't make you too angry! :D

Not at all. Sponges are no everyday find and it's nice to have a site that produces them.

7 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Roger, your latest finds from the Ditch make me nostalgic for that wonderful day in May with you and my companions. The Ataxioceras looks awesome and that Streblites I'm guessing is large for that species.  Congratulations and thanks for sharing. By the way, my fossil collecting is on hold now on account of the freezing weather and will remain so for the foreseeable future.   

Yes, that was a great day with you guys. The Streblites is a complete phragmocone, as is usually the case here, but it is a bit larger than usual and really nicely preserved for a steinkern. Old man winter really seems to have his grip on you over there.

7 hours ago, caldigger said:

Those are some beautiful specimens for it not being a very spectacular dig. Nice detail.

You have to do a bit of work, but it's usually worth it in the end.

Got some nice looking rock candy there!

(Ba-dum-tss!)

:ammonite01:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

11 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

And they taste good too :P

Sure does! :drool:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Love that first Ataxioceras . You'll have to PM me if you decide to part with it. ;) 

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

3 hours ago, Monica said:

Great finds as usual, Roger! :wub:

Thanks Monica.

56 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

Love that first Ataxioceras . You'll have to PM me if you decide to part with it. ;) 

Sorry, but that one's staying in the collection since I only have very few samples of that species. I'll send you a PM anyway if I do happen to have some other things to offer.

Hey Roger, loving seeing the sponges! 

Was thinking of all your other treasures as I was going thru the German material in the garage the other day. I'm getting older and didnt remember some of the stuff I had acquired/traded/gifted...thinking I need to bring it all in and put in a case...probably need to create a thread and share the photos...nothing crazy but a sampling...A mentor and my german ancestors influenced me greatly with wanting the german stuff. 

So a word to the others just getting started and those into it for awhile...Document and label well!! You will forget where the stuff came from and how you got it...its sad but Believe me!!... 

Continued hunting success. Thanks again for the photos. 

Regards, Chris 

1 hour ago, Plantguy said:

Hey Roger, loving seeing the sponges! 

Was thinking of all your other treasures as I was going thru the German material in the garage the other day. I'm getting older and didnt remember some of the stuff I had acquired/traded/gifted...thinking I need to bring it all in and put in a case...probably need to create a thread and share the photos...nothing crazy but a sampling...A mentor and my german ancestors influenced me greatly with wanting the german stuff. 

So a word to the others just getting started and those into it for awhile...Document and label well!! You will forget where the stuff came from and how you got it...its sad but Believe me!!... 

Continued hunting success. Thanks again for the photos. 

Regards, Chris 

Thanks Chris. Just let me know when you post the photos and I'll see if I can help you out with id.

Archived