Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Tidgy's Dad

What a lovely haul! 

Love the sunset picture, too! 

Excellent, thanks for sharing! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caldigger

Now thats the way to clean up a beach!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhodamanHD

Ahh, the beautiful purse/Douglas point site. Probably frozen over by now, I’ll have to get over there before the ice gets to thick for braking and I can’t get matrix for micro collecting (I’ve heard that’s good from there, but thus far I’ve only macro collected). Those steinkern are nice, bigger than all the ones I’ve found. Also those Otoduses are very nice (and of course all the other teeth, but the Otoduses are so much cooler)! You sure the bones are psuedofossils? The Ol’ Chunosauruses are pretty common there, mostly hailing from turtles and crocs. Now you just have to find the elusive Paleocarcharodon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ynot

Nice report, nice finds!

Thanks for sharing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sixgill pete

Looks like you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I_gotta_rock

I'd heard about Purse, but only that it was similar to Calver Cliffs, which I love exploring. I had no idea about the volume of teeth! I am sooo out there as soon as the temps creep up close to freezing again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HoppeHunting
1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Ahh, the beautiful purse/Douglas point site. Probably frozen over by now, I’ll have to get over there before the ice gets to thick for braking and I can’t get matrix for micro collecting (I’ve heard that’s good from there, but thus far I’ve only macro collected). Those steinkern are nice, bigger than all the ones I’ve found. Also those Otoduses are very nice (and of course all the other teeth, but the Otoduses are so much cooler)! You sure the bones are psuedofossils? The Ol’ Chunosauruses are pretty common there, mostly hailing from turtles and crocs. Now you just have to find the elusive Paleocarcharodon!

Yes, the bones are not pictured because I was testing their durability and they snapped in half. Turns out they were simply very smooth, dark, and heavy pieces of wood that resembled some kind of bone. But I'm sure I'll eventually find some cool bone fragment or something on one of these trips. And yes, of course the Paleocarcharodon! What a find that would be. I'll most certainly keep my eyes peeled. Thanks for the great feedback. Hoppe hunting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhodamanHD
5 minutes ago, HoppeFossilHunting said:

Turns out they were simply very smooth, dark, and heavy pieces of wood that resembled some kind of bone

That’ll probably be either driftwood or lignite, the lignite is a fossil but not much more than low grade coal. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HoppeHunting
21 minutes ago, I_gotta_rock said:

I'd heard about Purse, but only that it was similar to Calver Cliffs, which I love exploring. I had no idea about the volume of teeth! I am sooo out there as soon as the temps creep up close to freezing again!

Although their accessibility and layout is fairly similar, I'd actually say the two sites are quite different. The types of teeth you can find at Purse cannot be found at Calvert Cliffs, and vice versa. This is because of the huge gap in time between the sites. Fossils at Purse are at least 30 or 40 million years older than anything you can find along the Chesapeake, which I think is pretty cool. If you love finding fossils, then you'll love Purse, especially because it's more fun when you find a lot. I'm so glad you found my report helpful, and I wish you the best of luck should you head down to the site. Hoppe hunting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jakuzi

Wow that’s a lot of teeth! Purse is definitely on my list.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RCW3D

I never get tired of going there...so much fun for kids as well, guaranteed to find teeth!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldtimer

What a nice collection of finds.  Shark teeth are some of my favorites. 

Your sunset pic is wonderful.  Thanks for sharing your haul with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossil-Hound

Very nice center O. obliquus. You did well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×