Who should I give things to?

Miocene_Mason

Occasionally, I find something interesting. Last month I found a cricetid ( seems arvicoline) rodent tooth, which I have never heard of being found at Calvert Cliffs before (though my ears aren’t that great). I seem to have a knack for finding mammal teeth at Brownies for some reason. Anyway, I don’t know if it holds any scientific value or would be worth something for posterity, but if I wanted to (and I do) donate it (or something else I find in the future) to a scientific institution, preferably in Maryland or close to it, which one would it be and how would I go about contacting said institution? I was hoping someone who has done this kinda thing in my area could tell me who I would contact. PM is fine as well. I just want to make sure I don’t accidentally keep something that would benefit science. My hope would be that it would be studied, and kept for the future (I doubt a measly lemming tooth would be displayed; or my possum tooth). Thanks for any and all responses!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I visited the Calvert Marine Museum in Solomons, MD. three years ago. I was able to tour their storage collection- approximately 50,000 fossil specimens  then. I was shown a number of drawers of terrestrial mammal teeth. I would definitely give them consideration. 

• I found this Informative 1

@ynot and @Jeffrey P 

Yeah, First thought has been sending an email to Dr. Stephen Godfrey, the curator of paleontology at Calvert Marine Museum. Just wanted to test the water to see if it would be much the useful elsewhere or with somebody else (a few prominent Maryland paleontologists come to mind). I’ll give this thread a day to see if someone who knows one that would have a particular interest in such a thing pops up, and if this doesn’t happen I’ll send an email to Dr. Godfrey. Thanks for your help!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, ynot said:

@MarcoSr might have some ideas.

Yes, Dr. Weems was a name that sprung to mind and I know that @MarcoSr has worked with him.

Happy hunting,

Mason

As a museum specializing with the site where you found your teeth, I'm sure the Calvert Cliffs Museum will gladly accept your donation. Send an email to the curator or another paleontologist, and describe your finds, then see if the curator has some time to meet with you in person so you can actually donate the specimens.

Here in Nevada, I've had great experiences dealing with my local Geology Department. I've got a pile of Olenellids on my table that I'm going to bring on Saturday, and even as common trilobites, they greatly appreciate the donation.

• I found this Informative 2

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.

PM sent.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

10 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

@ynot and @Jeffrey P 

Yeah, First thought has been sending an email to Dr. Stephen Godfrey, the curator of paleontology at Calvert Marine Museum. Just wanted to test the water to see if it would be much the useful elsewhere or with somebody else (a few prominent Maryland paleontologists come to mind). I’ll give this thread a day to see if someone who knows one that would have a particular interest in such a thing pops up, and if this doesn’t happen I’ll send an email to Dr. Godfrey. Thanks for your help!

If your specimen is from Calvert Cliffs, I would definitely contact Dr. Godfrey.  Dr. Weems is another good person to contact.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Wanna let every one here know I donated this tooth and another to the Calvert Marine Museum, and I am glad I did. Thanks for everyone’s input!

Happy hunting,

Mason