Complete fossil Shark Skeletons: are there any?

MeargleSchmeargl

fossilshark02.jpg.4b641597e048824263eb0f23e43fca4f.jpg

I recently found this image with a shark's jaws preserved. Makes me wonder if a shark's full cartilaginous skeleton has ever been found preserved, knowing that it is rare for cartilage to preserve at all. Has a full shark skeleton ever been found?

• I found this Informative 1

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Glen Rocker of PaleoSearch had this 25 foot specimen of a Kansas Cretoxyrhina mantelli at the Tucson show a few years ago.  I believe it went to the McWane Science Center in Alabama.  

mcwane-cretoxyrhina.jpg.35e0a76a6fa40234bff97c1e35d8e38f.jpg

Cretaceous sharks from Lebanon are common. 

48497-7.thumb.jpg.9007695ef1d70930fe501d428966008b.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

There are quite a few on the web, here's another one, but they are, of course, extremely rare.

Scyliorhinus_elongatus_7-1272x400.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Several in Solnhofen, Monte Bolca and Lebanon.

Ok, mine here are very small ones, but I have seen several exceeding 1,5meters

• I found this Informative 3

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

One was found around 3 years ago in Calvert County, MD. 

LINK

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

If you count xenacanthids, they have been found complete in a number of locations.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

One was found around 3 years ago in Calvert County, MD. 

LINK

I saw that specimen in the storage room at the Calvert Marine Museum- disarticulated, but impressive mainly because of the rare preservation of the cartilage. The American Museum of Natural History in New York has a number of complete shark specimens in their Hall of Early Vertebrates.

I believe it is the museum in Lincoln, Nebraska has a nice display of Paleozoic sharks from somewhere between Omaha and Lincoln.  Really cool stuff you rarely see anywhere else. 

Stethacanths shark (one that has a weird appendage jutting out of its dorsal surface) from the devonian has  been found complete or near complete 

1420_106_209-carboniferous-shark-spine.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Almost forgot, bear gulch has a host of complete chondrichthyians.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Haimirichthys comes to mind(as a more recent discovery).Posted it a while back .and Squalicorax,BTW
Acronemus,Onychoselache,Gansuselache,Synechodus,Megachasma,Sphenacanthus.,Hybodus,Gogoselache,Ozarcus,Tristychius,Protodus from the Devonian of Forfar.,

Isurus denticulatus

Palaeobates from the Triassic of Scotland(exceptional cartilage preservation)

Nobody here has mentioned the Namurian of Scotland,I believe(Bearsden,maybe even Glencartholm)

A lot of neurocrania are found(lesser known example:Belgian Oligocene squatinids)

quggdelptttrymjjpwillist.jpg

I'm a little confused with that Kansas shark.  Pretty sure there is some artistic license allowed on it. I've collect a few things from the chalk, and seen a lot of stuff, but never anything that is even close to what that looks like.  There is an awesome shark in the Sternberg museum that is a big pile of big teeth, and the complete string of verts.  It is 100% real.  That Kansas shark above looks too good to be true.  Do you have any info on that?

( I just looked on their website, and I see that they have a full body  Squalicorax sp. of shark that is even more unbelievable than the Cretoxyrhina shown above. No way that thing is 100% real)

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

On 1/5/2018 at 10:57 PM, Ramo said:

I'm a little confused with that Kansas shark.  Pretty sure there is some artistic license allowed on it. I've collect a few things from the chalk, and seen a lot of stuff, but never anything that is even close to what that looks like.  There is an awesome shark in the Sternberg museum that is a big pile of big teeth, and the complete string of verts.  It is 100% real.  That Kansas shark above looks too good to be true.  Do you have any info on that?

( I just looked on their website, and I see that they have a full body  Squalicorax sp. of shark that is even more unbelievable than the Cretoxyrhina shown above. No way that thing is 100% real)

Any piece by Rockers is going to have quite a fair bit of "artistic" license to it!