Unknown Tooth

The Dust Off Pirate

I was out for a walk with my dog on a trail I had never been down before. It took us to one of the many creek beds in the area. We are in lower Alabama just 20 miles from the Florida pan handle. I was told that long ago this whole area used to be part of the ocean floor and that you can find lots of cool things in the creek and river beds like shark teeth. Well I found a tooth. In my quick search online the closest thing I could find was a sand tiger(shark). Can anyone help me figure it out?

post-247-1202596040_thumb.jpg

post-247-1202596059_thumb.jpg

I know nothing about verts, but cool find. :Thumbs-up:

I'm sure someone on here can ID the piece.

What are verts? :D

Congratulations you got it right. It is a sand tiger (generically speaking) tooth with most of the root missing. There are several types of shark teeth that look very similar and tend to be lumped into the Sand Tiger category. Knowing the age of the fossil producing layers helps in identifying what species of tooth it is.

Congratulations you got it right. It is a sand tiger (generically speaking) tooth with most of the root missing. There are several types of shark teeth that look very similar and tend to be lumped into the Sand Tiger category. Knowing the age of the fossil producing layers helps in identifying what species of tooth it is.

What would be a good resource for figuring out the fossil producing layers?

I was out for a walk with my dog on a trail I had never been down before. It took us to one of the many creek beds in the area. We are in lower Alabama just 20 miles from the Florida pan handle. I was told that long ago this whole area used to be part of the ocean floor and that you can find lots of cool things in the creek and river beds like shark teeth. Well I found a tooth. In my quick search online the closest thing I could find was a sand tiger(shark). Can anyone help me figure it out?

South Alabama is generally Late Cretaceous. There are a number of Cretaceous sharks whose teeth have slender blades. Keep looking for a more complete specimen.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

If it's late Cretaceous, it's more likely a Goblin shark anterior than a Sand-tiger.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Guest N.AL.hunter

Since I collect a lot in lower Alabama, and mostly right above the Florida

border, I think the tooth is most likely from the Eocene and not the Cretaceous. The Cretaceous runs in a slight curve, east to west, through the state in the lower middle of the state. The very southern area is eocene/miocene with a few others thrown in. This is a sand shark tooth (sand-tiger), missing the root, and most likely from the Tallahatta Formation . If you are anywhere near Andalusia, Alabama, check out the point-A

Dam site on the Conecuh River.

Guest N.AL.hunter

And, by the way, verts stands for vertebrates. Animals with backbones as opposed to inverts or invertebrates, those without backbones.

And, by the way, verts stands for vertebrates. Animals with backbones as opposed to inverts or invertebrates, those without backbones.

Thanks! my wife told me right after I posted that :lol: Any recommendations for place to go around Mother Rucker?

Thanks! my wife told me right after I posted that :lol: Any recommendations for place to go around Mother Rucker?

Here's what N.Al.h was describing. My own limited excursions in the Ft. Rucker area suggest that you should go west to find fossils.

------Harry Pristis

post-42-1202677541_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

If its Cretaceous I would say Scapanorhynchus raphiodon

post-40-1202696625_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold