Fossil fly - is this information correct?

Limestone

Hello all. Its been a long time since I have had the chance to do fossil hunting after the hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico. Floods, contaminated waters, power outtages have made it very difficult. 

Anyway, I took a vacation and found this for a resonable price at an antique store. This would be my first insect fossil as well as my first fossil from the green river formation. 

It is labeled as:

Fossil Fly 

Eocene Epoch 

38-55 millions years old

green river formation wyoming 

i am wondering if the identification is correct and if it is possible to know more information on the piece. 

Sorry I do not have a ruler for scale. 

Thank you!

IMG_3231.JPG

27 minutes ago, Limestone said:

Hello all. Its been a long time since I have had the chance to do fossil hunting after the hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico. Floods, contaminated waters, power outtages have made it very difficult. 

Anyway, I took a vacation and found this for a resonable price at an antique store. This would be my first insect fossil as well as my first fossil from the green river formation. 

It is labeled as:

Fossil Fly 

Eocene Epoch 

38-55 millions years old

green river formation wyoming 

i am wondering if the identification is correct and if it is possible to know more information on the piece. 

Sorry I do not have a ruler for scale. 

Thank you!

Well, I know for sure it's a bug. It may be a fly, but I'm not too terribly familiar with Green River, seeing that I've never been there before. It looks nice, though.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

13 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Well, I know for sure it's a bug. It may be a fly, but I'm not too terribly familiar with Green River, seeing that I've never been there before. It looks nice, though.

Thank you! I was looking for an insect fossil online but I found a good opportunity to buy one so I did. 

Hopefully someone will have some more information.  

The person behind the counter only knew the price :P

Some PDF links that might help. 

However, ... I'm not sure your insect has enough detail to identify it any further. :unsure:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

16 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Some PDF links that might help. 

However, ... I'm not sure your insect has enough detail to identify it any further. :unsure:

Thank you for the resources! I will have a look at them tonight! 

Limestone, first I want to say I hope you and your family are d oing well after the hurricane. The company I work for has a factory somewhere on the island so we have been kept current of your situation since the storm hit. I know many people still have a long way to go tp getting back to what could be considered normal.

As far as your insect I am no help, but wanted to say it is great that you were able to get off somewhere and find a bit of that normalcy. Looks like a fine addition to your collection

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Hello Limestone!

I am a frequent digger of Green River Formation and I can help you out here.

This specimen has had some paint added to it, but it is indeed an insect from Green River Formation. I can give more exact information of the find if you wish, just send me a PM!

We do refer to them as flies and that is how Fossil Butte National Monument labels them in their collections, but beyond that I cannot give a genus or species name.

The exact age of this piece is 51.2 million Years Old (Eocene)

Hope this helps and glad to see you are safe and sound after a scary time!

18 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

Limestone, first I want to say I hope you and your family are d oing well after the hurricane. The company I work for has a factory somewhere on the island so we have been kept current of your situation since the storm hit. I know many people still have a long way to go tp getting back to what could be considered normal.

As far as your insect I am no help, but wanted to say it is great that you were able to get off somewhere and find a bit of that normalcy. Looks like a fine addition to your collection

Thank you for your well wishes. Its been tough, only around 50% of the island has power. My family and I have gone 4 months without power, we have had to adapt to live with generators and make weekly diesel runs! We have also installed a solar powered water heater.

We are fortunate to have the resources to be able to do this. There are others on the island that cant. 

We are traveling back home tomorrow and have confirmation the the power company is working in our neighborhood. So there is hope we will have power soon! 

Not a bad specimen, based on my (limited) experience with the Green River formation I would suggest that it came from the 18" layer as your matrix looks similar. It's a mottled fine grain that is light pale grey to white. If it were from one of the other "fishy" layers the rock would be less mottled and more white to pale light yellow. Just my 2 cents. ;)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

57 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

Not a bad specimen, based on my (limited) experience with the Green River formation I would suggest that it came from the 18" layer as your matrix looks similar. It's a mottled fine grain that is light pale grey to white. If it were from one of the other "fishy" layers the rock would be less mottled and more white to pale light yellow. Just my 2 cents. ;)

You are very close! It comes from a layer that is about 5-7 inches above the 18 inch layer ;) 

Just before you get down to the upper capping.

3 hours ago, FossilDudeCO said:

You are very close! It comes from a layer that is about 5-7 inches above the 18 inch layer ;) 

Just before you get down to the upper capping.

Told ya my experience was limited! I did visit the 18" quarries once and saw the layer just below the fish layers where march flies can be found. The rock he has looked similar but I've only been there once.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

@Shamalama I'm just giving you a hard time!

You did well, most of the 18-inch diggers would consider it as the 18-inch layer because that's how they get to mark up some pieces ;)

Its only us science minded individuals that want that distinction! 

Archived