Back From A Small Trip

Nicholas

Sacredsin and I ventured south to the mainland for 2 days stopping at both the famous Joggins cliffs of Nova Scotia, and the Parrsboro site. I learned some great information and even made friends with a student of paleontology who works at Joggins as a guide, collector, and researcher his specialty is the Carboniferous and we exchanged e-mails allowing me to join his network of paleontologists which will give me helpful tips and ids if I need them.

A piece of crucial information about hunting in Nova Scotia as revealed to me as well during my 2 hour long discussion with this man. Apparently the collecting permit which I had been working so hard to get is actually a bad idea. When you do get your permit you are no longer allowed to have a personal collection, and all your specimens from past or present will be taken and put in the provincial collection. It was suggested that I remain freelance like I am. Collecting in areas without such stringent regulations such as my island, contact experts for finds which may be important and keep the common finds. In doing this the NS government will see me as an amateur contributor if I help, and not take my common fossils because that would discourage me (they also have thousands of specimens of each type anyway)

Another tidbit of information that I learned. Nova Scotia is not mainly Upper Carboniferous, it just happens to have the best preserved specimens from that age. We also have Crinoids, Trilobites, Dinosaurs, Giant Amphibians, and more. I knew about the Dinos and Giant Amphibians but I thought those were rare elusive finds and I had no idea that they have found a lot of evidence for them.

Some highlights of the trip:

Wandering the shore at Joggins seeing some great fossils and some great scenery.

Seeing the track ways of Arthropleura

Taking a look at the Fundy Museum preparation lab which was working on dinosaur fossils found in the area.

A partially articulated Moa bird skeleton.

Many great specimens from my province including Crinoids, Dinos, Amphibains, Inverts, insects, and Plants

Seeing the famous mastodon tooth that was found on my island.

Meeting some great people.

Pictures will be coming soon, we filled Caitlin's camera 3 times during this trip and had to unload on a lap top. Unfortunately the pictures are rather huge at the moment so I will resizing them. There are also way too many to post here so I will upload a few to the forum and the rest can be found on an online album which I will post the link to. :)

Nicholas.... Looks a fantastic exhibitionId of liked to have been there and listened to the conversation...... and nice collecting site.... so thats what the sun looks like....

Best preserved upper carb.... thats obviously there 'biased ' opinion.... :P

Did they have any actual Arthropleura Material or is there any on the net from the 'National Collection'.......?

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Nicholas.... Looks a fantastic exhibitionId of liked to have been there and listened to the conversation...... and nice collecting site.... so thats what the sun looks like....

Best preserved upper carb.... thats obviously there 'biased ' opinion.... :P

Did they have any actual Arthropleura Material or is there any on the net from the 'National Collection'.......?

I've heard of some preserved armor segments of Arthropleura which are quite cool but none were on display. Since my new friend from there is very read up on this creature I'll ask him and perhaps I'll be able to get a picture. Unfortunately there is no public gallery to view the photos of the national collection.

Nice pictures, looks like you guys had fun!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Nick! looks like your finding some sweet plants! a little persistance has payed off! i still remember the guy who asked me how to split rocks.....youve learnt a lot and are now starting to sound all professional on me!

GREAT stuff...some nice bark impressions.

If i come to upside down land take me hunting!

When are you next in IN?

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Nicholas.... Please do try and get some images of your Countries Arthropleura fossil remains for me to see from your new friend.... If you have any success send me a PM and I will forward my email address to send them to if they are not for public display.......... I know it is very rare material although I do have some myself, Very VeryLucky finds... ;);) ..and you do struggle finding almost anything on the web to compare what you have....... If they pass some images my way, Id be sure to let them see my finds in return....

Its strange how stringent the guidelines are at taking your rare material you find for the national collection, yet this collection isnt available for all to access. study and see on the web......

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)