Mazon Creek fish scales

TheRocksWillShoutHisGlory

I am asking for help identifying the species of some fish scales from Mazon creek.  The scales were too small to put a scale in, but the whole patch is about 1.2mm in width.

fin4.png.fcb7ddc8aa085a79793bb941beca0a31.pngfin5.png.8f4f30276c980110c7040dee083427d5.png

On the reverse side of the concretion it appears there are some spines under the scales, possibly from the fin.

fin1.jpg.4490d09ad9b03d1aeab6c67c5ba45504.jpg

My initial thinking is Rhabdoderma Exiguum as the fin looks similar to me as an example from RCFossil's collection:

5a4e86d2eb2d6_rcfRhabdodermaExiguum.png.eef24c7bb2366b72d8330921a627c5e2.png

This is a very small part of a relatively large non vascular plant named Taeniophyllum latifolium White, 1899. It was most likely an alga and subaquatic or aquatic. Fragments are often found associated with aquatic invertebrates. It is not uncommon to find it in small fragments like this one. When found with the outer surface intact it is smooth. But when the surface is missing and the subsurface is exposed it shows a mesh-like network of small squares made of parallel support structures connected by randomly placed perpendicular ones. The parallel lines number about 40 per centimeter. Attached is a unusually large example of the inner surface.

Hope that helps,

Jack

T.latPP24108.jpg

• I found this Informative 8