Max-fossils

Hi all,

I think that this is my first time in this thread of the forum, after being active for about a year and a half... Shame on me!

Well, just for your info I know absolutely NOTHING about microfossils. So please bear with me :headscratch:

So I have a question for you guys: B2F98263-72C3-4C19-AD21-2DBDC27027AE.thumb.jpeg.98463b07e8d0c20229ad6f1e63915513.jpeg

So I bought this microfossil slide recently for just 3,25€ (not sure if it’s a good deal or not, but seemed okay to me), thinking it would be useful to store my very small fossils. 

Well, when I got it, I had two surprises:

1) it’s a lot smaller than I thought it would be! Fossils can get REALLY small I guess!

2) there aren’t any walls or so separating each number square. 

I thought that this would be simply another one of these sorting boxes with different “sub boxes”, which are always useful for storing fossils appropriately; but then a mini version for microfossils. Seems like I was very wrong! 

So so my main question is: how do I use this? 

Also, if you have any tips on how to go around with microfossils appropriately o would be glad to hear them. 

Again, all this stuff is very new to me. Microfossils are definitely not my strong point. 

Thanks in advance,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Hm. I think this would be used for microscopes and photography rather than storage or display. The numbered boxes make it easier, when taking a photograph, to create a legend associated with the image to identify each of the specimens to which the number corresponds.

That's my guess, anyway! :D 

EDIT: I forgot your other question. I've seen others use bead containers to store their fossils, with some similar containers or even cubes with a magnifying lens for a lid.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Just now, Kane said:

Hm. I think this would be used for microscopes and photography rather than storage or display. The numbered boxes make it easier, when taking a photograph, to create a legend associated with the image to identify each of the specimens to which the number corresponds.

That's my guess, anyway! :D 

Ah okay. That already makes more sense. Thanks! 

Oh, and I should have read the first topic in the thread first... Will read that tomorrow. 

Btw, Kane, as you are a Moderator, could you please fix a small issue for me? I seem to have posted the same thread three times :wacko: Sorry for that, and thanks already.

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

1 minute ago, Max-fossils said:

Btw, Kane, as you are a Moderator, could you please fix a small issue for me? I seem to have posted the same thread three times :wacko: Sorry for that, and thanks already.

No problem - done! :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Just now, Kane said:

No problem - done! :) 

Thanks ^_^

Max Derème

I do use a similar style of box for storing tiny micros (submillimeter to 4 mm length), such as conodonts and scolecodonts. Here's a photo of one of my cases:

5a4eac0b7af51_ScolecodontCase.thumb.JPG.efaa69a46fa4fd1e1a2ceeb79bafde79.JPG

This is a silver dollar case with the coin-holding foam piece removed, and a custom printed card (created in Excel, printed on cardstock) inserted and glued to the back. I secure the micros to the card with a 50/50 mix of white glue (such as Elmer's) and water. Specifically, I painted the entire set of boxes on the card with the mixture when I mounted the card in the case, then let it dry. To put a fossil where I want it, I first place a drop of water on the card, then transfer the fossil with a damp paintbrush to the water drop. A needle works for final manipulations before the water evaporates and dries the glue.

This is fairly easy to reference with a spreadsheet.

The only problem I've had with these is that if the glue mixture is a little too weak, the fossils can loosen and fall off the card. I keep track of what goes where by photographing everything before I mount it, and keeping the photos referenced by the information spreadsheet.

I recommend checking out these posts for other equipment suggestions: LINK 1, LINK 2, LINK 3. Any other specific questions about equipment or techniques, feel free to ask!

Edited to add: My case above is 2 inches square.

Here’s a nice example of a Plummer cell with foraminifera. Typically all the fossils in a slide come from a single sample. The fossil are sorted and glued into individual cells, preferably with a water soluble glue that can easily be removed.

http://www.foraminifera.eu/greenland.php

i use Plummer slides frequently but don’t glue the fossils down. They are good for storing fossils that are smaller than 1 millimeter.

@ynot @Mediospirifer @Al Dente thanks all a lot for the help! I'll give it a try and see how it goes. 

Max Derème

Hi Max,  That type of slide can be used for both searching for micro fossils and for long-term storage.  Putting a small amount of sample on the slide you can efficiently search it square by square for fossils.   It can also be labeled and used to catalog different micro fossils.

There are other microfossil slides that have a single or double well with no grid on them that can be also be used for storage.  If I remember correctly TFF user Herb had a post on making your own microfossil slides.  If I find his post I’ll put a link on this thread.

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions. It’s an addictive hobby!

Herb’s post

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

On 6-1-2018 at 4:38 AM, Acryzona said:

Hi Max,  That type of slide can be used for both searching for micro fossils and for long-term storage.  Putting a small amount of sample on the slide you can efficiently search it square by square for fossils.   It can also be labeled and used to catalog different micro fossils.

There are other microfossil slides that have a single or double well with no grid on them that can be also be used for storage.  If I remember correctly TFF user Herb had a post on making your own microfossil slides.  If I find his post I’ll put a link on this thread.

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions. It’s an addictive hobby!

Herb’s post

Sorry for the slightly late reply... Well thanks for the help! And I already saw that post, as Mediospirifer already posted the link (link 1) ;)

Max Derème

• 2 weeks later...

if you look at my 2 part post "how to collect microfossils without breaking the bank" you might get some ideas

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2018 at 3:59 AM, Herb said:

if you look at my 2 part post "how to collect microfossils without breaking the bank" you might get some ideas

Sorry that I only reply now... But yes I did take a look at these links, as Mediospirifer recommended them. :)

Max Derème

Archived