Kickoff of our new Cambrian Abrigo Fm. Project!

Arizona Chris

Hi  all,

Winter is the perfect time of the year to collect cambrian fossils in South Eastern Arizona.  Its temperatures are perfect, its not raining and traffic is low.  We will have lots of material to cover here, but I thought Id start off by posting a few shots of tiny inarticulate brachs from tonights scope shooting session.  I used photoshops "contact sheet" function and it worked pretty good.  The Abrigo is middle cambrian and upper cambrian.  The lower part is the same age (and ocean) as the Bright Angel Shale in northern Arizona.  The upper Abrigo is upper Cambrian and is a latter period which is not represented in the BAS.  I wont be identifying these at this point, but they are probably Lingulella or Billinslella sp.  Oh isnt the Cambrian FUN?!

ContactSheet-001.thumb.jpg.01a0358e68aea7b448f212ec2cb88c82.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

Nice presentation of an overlooked group for that age. I've got a grand total of 1 Cambrian brach in my collection...

Beautiful little critters and a wonderful use of technology. 

Love these!

I too have only the one Cambrian brachiopod,

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Chris:nobody has ever found a Billins l ella.:trex:B)

Meanwhile: anybody working Cambrian strata has my support,not to mention admiration.

Agree with Tidge and Tony:NICE!!!

The Abrigo is far more fossiliferous than the Bright Angel Shale, and there are plenty of proto crinoids, hyalithids and trilobites.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

Do we get to see the hyoliths soon?

Pretty please!

I find hyoliths absolutely fascinating. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Archived