kerrimarie805

The fossil I want most to find, at this point in my addiction, is a tullymonster. A few months ago, I thought this might be one, but, now, I'm fairly certain it's just a geode and am just double checking by asking for an ID. I actually really dig (that's so punny, lol!) geodes, so I'll add it to my collection, but I have enough criniods and brachiopods. I'm throwing a little tullymonster fit!20180105_025837.thumb.jpg.3dd57f98f474fe84233a0424430b0b79.jpg

Did you find this in Pennsylvania? If so, it's certainly not Tullimonstrum gregarium, as the enigmatic creature is only found in the Carboniferous sediments of Illinois. Looks to be geological instead.

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.

I'm saying "geode" because my understanding is that any rock that is different on the inside than it is on the outside is, technically, a geode. Not all geodes are crystals and unicorns inside, which is why I'm calling it a geode. And I'm not completely sure what you mean by "nodule." Would that be just a broken off protrusion from a larger rock formation?

4 minutes ago, Douvilleiceras said:

Did you find this in Pennsylvania? If so, it's certainly not Tullimonstrum gregarium, as the enigmatic creature is only found in Mazon Creek, Illinois. Looks to be geological instead.

All found in PA, yes, and that is what I've found in my own research on the Tullimonstrum. I was hoping by some stretch my sources were not 100% correct, pout. 

It seems, now, that I'm gathering definitions of exactly what constitutes a geode.

A geode is hollow, this does not appear to be.

A nodule is a rounded piece separated from the main mass of strata it originated in, like chert lumps or flint for example. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Geodes are formed when groundwater deposits minerals within cavities in rock. Geodes form very slowly, filling the cavities with quartz crystals from the edges in. 

I need more answers! I've been going rounds with more than one person who seems to and claims to know geology, one who has a degree in it, about that very point! I have spent enough time in the Black Hills of South Dakota to have learned that geodes are crystals and unicorns,  AND hollow. Others have recently and adamantly opposed this by telling me that a geode is simply any rock that is different on the inside than it is on the out. 

I think a nodule is a geode that has filled completely with deposited minerals, leaving no hollow in the middle and we say nodule in this case. 

8 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Sorry what do you mean by unicorns?

I'm sorry! I mean pretty crystal formations, unicorns are pretty.

19 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

I think a nodule is a geode that has filled completely with deposited minerals, leaving no hollow in the middle and we say nodule in this case. 

Thank you, so a nodule can be completely enclosed, unlike the nodule in my first pics?

Looks like a chert nodule.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Just now, KraZshardLady said:

I'm sorry! I mean pretty crystal formations, unicorns are pretty.

Ok sorry, I thought that was a geological term .:D

1 minute ago, Bobby Rico said:

Ok sorry, I thought that was a geological term .:D

It is if you're a fairy!

The first looks like a piece of rock with a quartz or calcite vein at one end. 

The second looks like an infilled geode. 

And the last two seem to be nodules, yes. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

First picture- chert nodule

Second picture- bedrock with mineral vein remnants

Third picture- crystal filled nodule- not geode (geodes have to be hollow mineral lined rocks.)

Forth picture- bedrock with mineral vein remnants

Fifth and sixth pictures- small piece of agate with a "crust" of oxidization (white)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Archived