Rough Looking Keichousaurus

MarielleK

Alright guys, so I have been wanted a keichousaurus for a while but haven't gotten one out of the fear of purchasing a fake. I am very aware that fossils on ebay from china are (the majority of the time) fake, especially keichs. The one I am looking at right now is from a ebay seller out of Hong Kong, but it looks especially roughshod, which I am hoping is a sign of authenticity. Most of the fakes I believe look very perfect and painted with dark blank paint, however this one looks in bad shape or only half prepared. I do not mind how decorative it looks, I would just like it to be a real fossil. I attached some pictures that the seller has up. Please let me know what you guys think! And thank you!!! 

s-l300.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Keich 3.jpg

Keich 4.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Golly! 

I've seen a lot of these on the net over time but this is a beast! 

That poor quality, half missing or badly or half- prepped it's got to be for real, surely ?

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Golly! 

I've seen a lot of these on the net over time but this is a beast! 

That poor quality, half missing or badly or half- prepped it's got to be for real, surely ?

That's my hope! I don't care too much how it looks, just want it real!

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Rough Looking Keichousaurus

My supposition is the surface bearing the fossil was long exposed to the elements. That is, the fossil was not revealed by splitting rock, but was already visible on the surface. It is a degraded piece, not much improved by a lick and a promise with a rotary, wire brush, half-hearted prep. I think I grasp the logic of your self-assurance - if it's dreadful it must be "real." However, genuine Keichs are very common fossils. It's true, finding a nice one without any paint monkey business requires some effort; but it certainly can be done. I would not purchase the current example unless it was at an extreme bargain price ($25 for me, but I'm cheap). However, your mileage may vary. 

To answer your question, as best as can be determined from a photo; yes that's a "real" fossil. As I have tried to suggest; there are many other authentic examples in better condition.

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

4 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

My supposition is the surface bearing the fossil was long exposed to the elements. That is, the fossil was not revealed by splitting rock, but was already visible on the surface. It is a degraded piece, not much improved by a lick and a promise with a rotary, wire brush, half-hearted prep. I think I grasp the logic of your self-assurance - if it's dreadful it must be "real." However, genuine Keichs are very common fossils. It's true, finding a nice one without any paint monkey business requires some effort; but it certainly can be done. I would not purchase the current example unless it was at an extreme bargain price ($25 for me, but I'm cheap). However, your mileage may vary. 

To answer your question, as best as can be determined from a photo; yes that's a "real" fossil. As I have tried to suggest; there are many other authentic examples in better condition.

Its $40, too much?

39 minutes ago, MarielleK said:

Im going to take Snolly50's advice and pass on this guy. Thanks all!

Good choice. The one You pictured looks like most of the bones are gone and just the print is left.

There are much better pieces out there.

Most of the ketch on the market are not outright fakes, or fabrications.

They have been poorly prepped and enhanced by paint more often than not.

Search this sub forum, there are several good threads to teach You what to look for when making a choice on one of these.

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

As mentioned by ynot, there are far more genuine Keich online than you might imagine. Here's a real pair to guide you. Look for calcite splits, make sure the bone detail is clear on the entire fossil down to individual bones on the tail and neck, make sure there are no weird discolorations splitting the fossil up (a sign of possible composition), ensure you can see actual details on the skull with eye sockets.

Better yet, just post pictures here and we can give our input.

Keich-2a.thumb.jpg.3755bc9f29ec717a1e2bec8052dfbcc9.jpg Keich-1a.thumb.jpg.2fb4186cb938aa2b6f87867b48b77b7e.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Alright so I found a few more that I am interested in, although one seems to be unprepped and I would have to figure out how to prep it. I am posting pictures, lets just call them keich a, b, and c in the order that I post their pics. Thank you guys again!

kk1.jpg

kk2.jpg

kk3.jpg

kk4.jpg

kk5.jpg

kk6.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

8 hours ago, -Andy- said:

As mentioned by ynot, there are far more genuine Keich online than you might imagine. Here's a real pair to guide you. Look for calcite splits, make sure the bone detail is clear on the entire fossil down to individual bones on the tail and neck, make sure there are no weird discolorations splitting the fossil up (a sign of possible composition), ensure you can see actual details on the skull with eye sockets.

Better yet, just post pictures here and we can give our input.

Keich-2a.thumb.jpg.3755bc9f29ec717a1e2bec8052dfbcc9.jpg Keich-1a.thumb.jpg.2fb4186cb938aa2b6f87867b48b77b7e.jpg

I posted some pictures for you guys to look at.

First one (a) looks very rough with pieces missing.

Second one (b) also looks like a rough prepp, particularly the back and tail

Third one looks the nicest of these three, but I wonder about the back and tail on this one also.

Would like to see close ups of the heads on all three.

Wait for others to give Their opinions.

18 hours ago, MarielleK said:

Alright guys, so I have been wanted a keichousaurus for a while but haven't gotten one out of the fear of purchasing a fake. I am very aware that fossils on ebay from china are (the majority of the time) fake, especially keichs. The one I am looking at right now is from a ebay seller out of Hong Kong, but it looks especially roughshod, which I am hoping is a sign of authenticity. Most of the fakes I believe look very perfect and painted with dark blank paint, however this one looks in bad shape or only half prepared. I do not mind how decorative it looks, I would just like it to be a real fossil. I attached some pictures that the seller has up. Please let me know what you guys think! And thank you!!! 

s-l300.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Keich 3.jpg

Keich 4.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

The Turin Shroud of a keichy....

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

Third one looks the nicest of these three, but I wonder about the back and tail on this one also.

The tip of the tail looks painted on with the third. Do you think they are all a good percentage of genuine fossil?

4 minutes ago, ynot said:

Also the color of the matrix around the keich (the third one, c) looks different than the rest of the matrix. 

2 minutes ago, MarielleK said:

The tip of the tail looks painted on with the third. Do you think they are all a good percentage of genuine fossil?

Can not see it well enough to tell from those pictures, need a close up.

2 minutes ago, MarielleK said:

Also the color of the matrix around the keich (the third one, c) looks different than the rest of the matrix. 

I think that is normal for these. (not sure)

3 minutes ago, ynot said:

There are only a few more on the sellers site.

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

Here is a picture of the head on keich #3

k f.jpg

45 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

I believe this maybe an understatement Lord Snolly. 

I like to think I am frugal. However, the snollywife often opines; "Well that's another example of more money than sense!"

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

2 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

I believe this maybe an understatement Lord Snolly. 

Gosh, don't call him that!,  John has a big enough ego as it is...his head may explode!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

16 hours ago, MarielleK said:

Alright so I found a few more that I am interested in, although one seems to be unprepped and I would have to figure out how to prep it. I am posting pictures, lets just call them keich a, b, and c in the order that I post their pics. Thank you guys again!

kk1.jpg

kk2.jpg

This is the only specimen I would consider if it's cheap enough. The rest, although with nice bodies, have heads and neck that doesn't feel right.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

All the four Keichousaurus are genuine. In fact, Keichousaurus are so common that genuine ones are more commonly found in the market than fake ones, but yes it is also not uncommon to have some parts painted in particular the tail and claws. My observations are:

The first one is mechanically prepped from a very hard slab which it is common to be acid washed or mechanically prepped.  Most of the bones were worn out and it is very difficult to prep a hard slab;

Specimen a is basically unprepped, with some missing/embedded bones, preparation would make it look better;

Specimen b is mechanically prepped, the slab is broken into 3 pieces and glued together;

Specimen c is acid washed, the tail end might have been painted or badly acid washed so that it looks like painted.  Ynot is right, the colour of the matrix is normal, there are mainly two types of slabs, one is black, one is "colourful", found in the localities in which Keichousaurus are collected.

But as others said, there are Keichousaurus of far better quality in the market such as the one below :P

att6dnlc.jpg