Rough Looking Keichousaurus

MarielleK

55 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

All the four Keichousaurus are genuine. In fact, Keichousaurus are so common that genuine ones are more commonly found in the market than fake ones, but yes it is also not uncommon to have some parts painted in particular the tail and claws. My observations are:

The first one is mechanically prepped from a very hard slab which it is common to be acid washed or mechanically prepped.  Most of the bones were worn out and it is very difficult to prep a hard slab;

Specimen a is basically unprepped, with some missing/embedded bones, preparation would make it look better;

Specimen b is mechanically prepped, the slab is broken into 3 pieces and glued together;

Specimen c is acid washed, the tail end might have been painted or badly acid washed so that it looks like painted.  Ynot is right, the colour of the matrix is normal, there are mainly two types of slabs, one is black, one is "colourful", found in the localities in which Keichousaurus are collected.

But as others said, there are Keichousaurus of far better quality in the market such as the one below :P

att6dnlc.jpg

Yes, but I am specifically looking for ones within my price range. Which of these four do you believe would be the best one to acquire?  

How much for a and b?  If they are offered at a similar price, I would go for a since it's the least damaged by rough prep (and if you know how to prep it, it would look nicer after preparation), but if you don't mind the broken slab and you are not going to prep it, b is also fine as it shows almost a complete skeleton.

B is $120 more than A, which is significant. I would love the rewarding feeling of preping it out A myself, however I have never prepared a fossil. I do not know how to properly prep a keich, I also do not own any tools. 

33 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

How much for a and b?  If they are offered at a similar price, I would go for a since it's the least damaged by rough prep (and if you know how to prep it, it would look nicer after preparation), but if you don't mind the broken slab and you are not going to prep it, b is also fine as it shows almost a complete skeleton.

I agree with Ynot.  Plus shipping charge, it does not seem worth to acquire those specimens.

The slab for a seems to be a hard one and it is not easy to prep.

Well a is $100 and b is $220, what is a fair price for a keich?

16 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

I agree with Ynot.  Plus shipping charge, it does not seem worth to acquire those specimens.

The slab for a seems to be a hard one and it is not easy to prep.

16 hours ago, ynot said:

I think if You show some patience and keep looking You will find a better piece for the same money (or less).

8 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

How big are they?  Larger specimens are much more expensive, in particular for those over 30cm in length.

A says its 20mm and B says its matrix is 12x8 inches

If you watch ebay carefully, nice ones show up every now and then.  I got a good (real) one on ebay a few months ago.  Not "amazing" but pretty well prepped (3d) and attractive for about $109.  

• 5 weeks later...