Dr Mud, 6ix & TinBum - more crabs than you could poke a stick at.

6ix

Amazing! Enjoyed the report and pictures. 

Libby

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Thanks everyone and specially @Doctor Mud It was a unique opportunity as storms had recently passed through.

The good Dr gave me this one to have a nibble on as well, looks like its going to prep nicely...  I think its upside down in this photo.

My back is bad today, I'm recovering from some torn ligaments and for some reason it take 2 days for the pain to properly kick in...

IMG_20180108_102257 (Medium).jpg

hi guys tinbum here using dads account!

just wanna tell you about 6ix and Dr mud using me as good luck because last time i found the sharks teeth

LOL

Hi 6ix, Hard to tell from the photo, but that crab in your picture looks to be the Dorsal side?  Would love to see the prep pics!

RB

Awesome finds, those look like they’ll turn out to be some real beauties :fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

@RJB My thoughts too... a nice wee play crab I think.

@Doctor Mud Will have an interesting time getting his new friends back to OZ - they are big.  Cant wait to seen them getting prepped out!

I was busy prepping out a ventral Pulalius crab today and thought to myself, "Those guys are using a freakin sledge hammer for fossil crab hunting"!!!   If only I could have been there with you guys!!!   Love it.  Ive been slobering with all the pics you guys are posting.  its killiing me! 

RB

To tell you the truth.. you name did come come up a few times as we were discarding some monsters @RJB

That's quite a feast! You guys definitely scored big time. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your success. 

I find myself coming back to this post so I can read it again and look at all the pictures again too.  Just freakin Awesome!!!

RB

Holy cow, that was some kind of awesome collecting trip.  I can't believe how many heart breaking crabs were lying around there.  Oh how I wish I was there with you guys.  That is one place I've dreamed about visiting and collecting, especially being a fellow fossil crab lover.  The drewl is all over my computer area.  Sure look forward to seeing some of you crabs after prepping.

Get the slobber & drool out again guys... we went back.  Just need to decide if the report should be an new post thoughts @Doctor Mud ??

Lets just say the packs were heavier, and the backs are sorer...

14 minutes ago, 6ix said:

Get the slobber & drool out again guys... we went back.  Just need to decide if the report should be an new post thoughts @Doctor Mud ??

Lets just say the packs were heavier, and the backs are sorer...

Happy yo keep the ball rolling here :fistbump:

Great day today my friend. Worth the 5 AM start in the drizzle!

Ill let 6ix start as he found something pretty special today!

How about we start with a couple of easy ones?

Nice learner prep rock on the left - on the right a pretty intact one.  Is that what you meant @Doctor Mud ??

5a597e22a2e09_IMG_20180113_163125(Medium).thumb.jpg.c6875310c1dbdb260e78c98adcfc5b78.jpg

IMG_4205.thumb.JPG.8318afd9f024a5fba5913e7c1e9ef54a.JPG

One of my prizes for the day. This visit seems to be time for ventrals.

Almost perfect ventral just sitting there in the stream. One of those "What the!" Moments. A little bit of damage to the small claw, but everything else is in very good shape.

So, folks might find it hard to guess what this is.

Even though I've found a few now, I didn't immediately recognize the bone.

After splitting it, all became clear!

This block contains multiple large (17 cm across) shark vertebrae,

IMG_4201.thumb.JPG.5b9ab09720275af6176db169ae8e91f2.JPG

Here's one of the pieces. Hard to say how many are in there. The verts were collapsed during diagenesis (rock formation) I believe. What was exposed in 6ixes original photo were cross sections of vertebrae faces. 

We have collected up all the pieces and offered it to the local museum.

So who was the owner? C. Megalodon is a good candidate. Not many associated verts found around the world....

Nice find @6ix!!!!!

Was looking at one of the blocks with the verts in today and saw this:

IMG_4209.thumb.JPG.7dfb5d26361cc20dec61c1f339286041.JPG

Reminded me of a Basking shark gill raker . Image below for comparison.

IMG_4210.JPG.b6e0f3684d0fe6f464a478a6ce478a3c.JPG

Last meal perhaps how big do basking sharks get up to??  I had a closer look at the bits in the matrix, and there are many apparently disassociated small flecks.

Archived