Reklaws1969

Hello everyone. 

New to fossil collecting & we & we picked this up a few weeks ago on Mappleton beach in East Yorkshire. 

Can anyone one help identify it please?

Also any cleaning tips welcomed. 

Thanks

IMG_1435.JPG

Looks like a nice big ammonite! Looks pretty complete if you can prep the bulky matrix off. There are a few people in the UK that may be able to help with that.

A fellow member that goes by @Terry Dactyll is one of the best. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Thanks. We thought it was an ammonite. It looks in good order so I'm, carefully, going to attempt to clean it.

Guess that slow & steady is the way to proceed.......

Any tips?

• I found this Informative 1

Yes, an ammonite from the Lower Jurassic. 

I know they have Arnioceras and Asteroceras there, but this may be a bit big for them. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

4 minutes ago, Reklaws1969 said:

Thanks. We thought it was an ammonite. It looks in good order so I'm, carefully, going to attempt to clean it.

Guess that slow & steady is the way to proceed.......

Any tips?

A scribe (manual or otherwise) is the usual choice, slow and steady is the best.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Looks like an arietid such as Coroniceras though the large ones don't usually come in nodules on the Yorkshire coast. Could be good if the middle's there. :)

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

15 minutes ago, TqB said:

Could be good if the middle's there.

A beginner may not understand that often sediments do not fill the inner coils in time to support the building sediment load above, causing it to be crushed.

• I found this Informative 2

I'm jealous, i never found ammonites that size ! And it seems well preserved, wow !:envy:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

3 hours ago, Reklaws1969 said:

Hello everyone. 

New to fossil collecting & we & we picked this up a few weeks ago on Mappleton beach in East Yorkshire. 

Thanks

IMG_1435.JPG

I can see the ribbing of a nice sized ammonite. You should definitely try prepping it to see all the other details! 

:ammonite01:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

I think that Tarquin is good with his assessment. Careful by prepping though. It appears to have a crack in it on the bottom right. You may have to be glueing it back together partway through.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

4 hours ago, Reklaws1969 said:

Hello everyone. 

Thanks

IMG_1435.JPG

Any other photos ? Of the keel ? (Outer edge) That should confirm an ID as atm looks a bit generic, how big is it ? Looks like a good find, Nice.

I am also with Tarquin, looks right. If I had to guess again there is an outside chance it is a Xipheroceras I think they found on the Holderness coast. Great find.

Thanks for the comments everyone. It’s on a kitchen sink draining board so it’s about 2 foot at its widest point. Was a bit on the heavy side as well I can tell you!  I’ve attached another close up photo as requested. 

Lets see see what you guys make of it close up....

6334CC6E-5661-47D1-92EF-A85BF74984D9.jpeg

8 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Wrong keel for Arnioceras and I don't think they ever got that big.

Just looks very worn on the outside, is a big'n.

To do a better ID, it would be useful to see the center of it, so it will need a preparation. Maybe could you look on the posts of that forum to have information on the technics of preparation or ask if someone near you could help you on this.

Cheers,

Sophie.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg