ID for a Newbie Please

Johnny676767

Hello,

I am a new member as of today but have been reading for a while. My son and I have recently gotten into rock collecting. We haven’t gone fossil collecting yet but hope to do so soon. We found these in Inland Southern California in the foothills of the Big Bear area. The site was next to a river or what’s left of it this time of year anyway. I have tried to rule out pseudofossils and different types of rocks. These also remind me of what a ranger described to me as jellyfish fossils while visiting the Bristlecone Pine area in CA. Similar samples were also on display. The second (larger rust colored spotting) might be igneous but I believe the first is sedimentary. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

296FED2A-A536-4489-9880-1FFFC5E8474C.jpeg

4855765E-FB08-4A20-AEF9-DF742E4D1B0B.jpeg

Edited by Johnny676767

Looks like pyrite. There are some poorly formed, or weathered, larger crystals near the centers. They are surrounded by smaller crystals and concretion. 

I agree that the first is sedimentary, perhaps a marly limestone, and that the second appears to be igneous. There are no fossils to be seen in them however.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Well I’m gonna muddy the water but I think it’s an igneous rock, perhaps something like diabase, stained with iron. I find a similar rock ‘round my area.  Not a mineral expert though, what’s your take @ynot?

edit: not ruling out sandstones, simply adding another suggestion. I have seen similar bluestone sandstone in the Catskill fm.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

6 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Well I’m gonna muddy the water but I think it’s an igneous rock, perhaps something like diabase, stained with iron. I find a similar rock ‘round my area.  Not a mineral expert though, what’s your take @ynot?

edit: not ruling out sandstones, simply adding another suggestion. I have seen similar bluestone sandstone in the Catskill fm.

It could be any of the three classes of rock.

I think this is one of those pieces that needs to be examined in hand to be sure of what it is.

I suggest taking it to a local rock club or university geology department, and let someone look at it in person.

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

I thought we are looking at 2 different specimens?

If we aren't it's one fine example of an optical illusion.

Sorry for the confusion. These are two different examples. Also, the first is grainy (sandy) and flakes off rather easily, which is why I mentioned in the original post I thought the first was sedimentary. The second is much harder.

I sort of assumed that the first example was more weathered and that the second an abraded example of the same. It could be a bias that comes from collecting in my area however.