Winner of the December 2017 Vertebrate Find Of The Month!

Cris

Congrats on a spectacular find and great job reconstructing (Humpty Dumpty would be proud). Interesting that we get a novel opinion from a relatively new member to TFF. The power of TFF is in its membership and we're always happy to add more brain cells to the collective. I've got no experience with fossils from this area so it it is completely outside of my bailiwick. Could we see a closeup image of some of the teeth (from different angles) so that us novices can compare your specimen to the images provided by a Google search of both Mesohippus and Poebrotherium? It makes for an interesting exercise to be able to compare with existing imagery so that we too can learn about the differences between these teeth. Nothing like matching a specimen to known images to cement a little bit of extra knowledge to our identification knowledge base.

Completely drool-worthy fossil and I must say... :envy:

Cheers.

-Ken

Attached here is photo with a Mesohippus jaw at the top and a scrappy part of a Poebrotherium jaw below.

I am listed as a new member, but not new to fossils. I'm an owner of BHI...

BobIMG_0763.JPG.e0579eb4719ad96c7fe660838a89701a.JPG

IMG_0762.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

I can definitely see why you think Mesohippus as the FOTM specimen definitely resembles the top specimen. Here in South Florida equid teeth look significantly different from the rarer camelid teeth that we find in the rivers. Most of our teeth down here date from the Plio/Pleistocene with some reaching back to the Miocene (when we are lucky). You pretty much have to go to northern Florida before you start to get significant Miocene mammals (Hemingfordian Land Mammal Age ~18 myo) like Parahippus leonensis so we are much more used to seeing equids and the occasional Pseudhipparion skinneri.

Glad to have someone chiming in from the Black Hills Institute--welcome aboard.

Cheers.

-Ken

@digit, if you want any more feel free to let me know!  However, I should mention that, at the moment, I can't really take any pictures farther out.

Closeup 1.jpg

Closeup 2.jpg

Closeup 3.jpg

Spectacular find, great job :ighappy:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Hi,

16 hours ago, rfarrar said:

I'm an owner of BHI...

:headscratch:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

1 minute ago, Coco said:

Hi,

:headscratch:

Coco

BHI = Black Hills Institute. Une grande organization de paleontologie. Si tu veux savoir plus dessus: Lien

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Thanks Max

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• Cris unfeatured this topic