I would truly appreciate any response to my question. I recently purchased these 2 ammonite fossils but I suspect they are fakes. 

Can anyone help?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Agreed. Real and relatively common fossils.  :) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

These are relatively common in Madagascar, I believe  Cleoniceras

is the genus. As previously stated, they are normally polished up and sometimes sliced.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I believe I have heard this many times. Madagascar has laws that make sure any of the fossils being exported have to be "jacked with" in some way so it keeps their people employed with work. That's why it is somewhat rare to see fossils in complete "Just unearthed" state coming out of there. There must be at least some amount of preparation done.

So unfortunately (For us purist), most stuff you see is polished or cut.

Raw examples do turn up, I built up a small collection of entirely unprepared examples last year. They are even more beautiful in their natural state. 

Unfortunately this is a poor photo, but I don't have anything better to hand.

Y5VUefJRPGBrp2rJeqaHtQeroAOOjIFEFXzZqbL7ivYpX92IB.jpg

The polished ammonites are very commonly exported from Madagascar.  Tonnes of them are imported to China, both big and small ones, and they are mostly used as home decor because they were said to have "feng shui" power :P

I bought them to use as displays for my ammonite pendants. I would consider sharing one but the shipping would be unreal! And, with our weather, it might take months to receive it!

Archived