Uncle Siphuncle

It has been a busy 5 years and my wife and hadn’t made time for a honeymoon...until now.  Greetings from Barbados, the only place I know of where you can order a flying fish sandwich, and if you aren’t paying attention, a gaggle of marauding green monkeys just might sneak it off your plate and head back up into the trees.

We’ve been here one day and found some fossils.  I believe I read that most of the island is a massive Pleistocene coral reef, and the beach cliff right outside our hotel is testament to that.

0FB1AA19-38F9-4FF5-B8EA-BC498CB56008.jpeg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

More coral.  Close ip of excavated wall...all coral.

B70F27A2-799A-4157-AE6B-ED99DD0ADA2A.jpeg

94A6F394-F409-4E2C-89B5-5FBE1DE30E9E.png

• I found this Informative 3

Grüße,

Having trouble loading photos, but we walked off dinner at a construction site on a steep hillside.  The excavation tore open a big reef, with large coral heads as well as branching corals.  The only non-coral fossil found there was the gastropod shown below.

If we run into anything else cool, I’ll post that too, if the monkeys don’t run off with my phone.

1901C360-B429-45D5-B680-6489844B1562.jpeg

Grüße,

More coral

30ECFD8C-88C6-4AE1-9351-83A8592A62B2.png

Grüße,

Hi there Dan!

Looks like you're having fun (and good weather) down there!  You know...if you look REALLY hard, you might find some Pleistocene corals! :D

-Joe

• I found this Informative 1

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Hey Dan, monkeys and flying fishfood in Barbados and fossils too...you never cease to amaze. Congrats on the trip/honeymoon. Enjoy yourself! 

Regards, Chris 

Wow, those corals really was are great builders! Interesting stuff!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Congrats on the belated honeymoon Dan! Corals are cool in my book. ;)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Hey Dan! Thanks for the gastropod! Hopefully you'll leave some of the island behind when you head back home again, but in the meantime, enjoy your belated honeymoon and say hi to Ms.Brett for me.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Off topic, but we found the monkeys.

6A528333-EBB2-42EE-9EDA-6B6A6F02136A.jpeg

Grüße,

6 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

@Uncle Siphuncle Did the Barbados get spared the hurricane damage so prevalent in the Caribbean this year?

Yezzir.  Got a good shower today though!

Grüße,

That gastropod is really nice, and the coral reef impressive, thanks for sharing to your wife and you.:yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

A fossil island.

Sign me up.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

My wife needed a nap after a morning surfing adventure, affording me a time window to jump in our silly little rental car and drive across the island on the wrong side of the road in search of fossils.

9317F3C2-849D-4009-90B2-09E63ECD6396.jpeg

Grüße,

While climbing boulders on a windward facing bay, I eventually found a few things amongst the ubiquitous corals.  I dug out a few nice Pleistocene gastropods, plus part of a crab leg.  Cool stuff.  Oh, and my makeshift chisels were a nail and old brake show found in a parking lot, with any ole rock serving as a hammer.  The conchs aren’t fossils, but the backdrop shows the site.

85B768DC-0C9D-47A7-9EA2-496744E68A4D.jpeg

A906F407-285C-4E14-B120-C37D557CBD03.jpeg

Grüße,

More goodies.

415DC182-F9E7-48E8-9610-9B41C8B1DC15.jpeg

0330206C-F06B-4517-AEDC-E5BAB646853B.jpeg

Grüße,

My total haul.

9C3790D0-8DBD-4F38-9C67-E4AE474D6966.jpeg

8643B9C3-4D79-4D50-B270-1F283F06F197.jpeg

Grüße,

Whenever I have a light fossil schedule, I often make a point of checking out old cemeteries.  This trip provided one of those opportunities, so I stopped at an old church to take photos of old graves as old as the mid 1700s.

Then things took a creepy twist.  I happened upon several disturbed graves that had human bones strewn about the surface.  I won’t show photos online, but I saw a full tibia, distal half of a femur, ribs, several radii, half a pelvis, and several vertebrae, including some that were fused and arthritic looking. 

Not sure if this was grave robbing, voodoo, or just morbid disrespect, but I felt bad for the departed.  I’m not one to get spooked easily, but this did wig me out just a bit. I’ve included some shots of the cemetery to convey the mossy, gloomy ambiance.

Grüße,

Cemetery pics

D1CFFC5B-4440-4CDB-9BCA-2CDFF3F4FAB5.jpeg

4C9F1F46-68E2-4963-9F68-9ED71954CE2F.jpeg

150298D0-D121-4B02-8A1E-4EE72AD073D3.jpeg

D79471A0-2F3F-4CC5-AAEE-925D08B99851.jpeg

B19D9D7A-7FAA-4AEA-90C6-9FBAEF605F18.jpeg

Grüße,

I enjoy walking through old cemeteries and paying some memory of those passed as well. I live in a place with many old cemeteries, many civil war era and some from before (many famous names, Francis Scott Key, Barbara fritchie, etc). Sorry to here of the disturbed skeletons, someone must have really been trying as most graves in the Caribbean are in concrete boxes (hurricane proof, and easier than digging in the hard limestone) as your pictures show. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason