Chirostenotes claw

bcfossilcollector

It is from the Hell Creek formation. The claw is about 3 inch’s in length.

Looks like the proximal portion is restored, correct? If so, it may need some fine tuning on the height dorsal-ventrally. 

I agree with @Troodon. It looks like an ornithomimid digit-I Manus claw. 

@hxmendoza thanks for your help in correcting the identification of this claw. Based on the analysis that you and @Troodon have provided I am going to re label this specimen. There definitely seems to be a distortion? at the very proximal edges of the specimen although I just do not have either the observational experience or expertise to have drawn conclusions as regards the original proportional shape of the claw. 

Properly labeled Ornithomimid but think it's a Struthiomimus.  The replica hand I show is a Struthie from the BHI your claws position would be the very bottom one from digit I.

This is what I believe you have

5a54d15259fa6_Digit1hand1a.thumb.jpg.9aac18ba1f2e682f6fbe599a9e2e3126.jpgReplicaHand1a.thumb.jpg.cf835b6f122511df5f2a7045b1bda6c1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Some additional information as regards this claw. I’ve managed to track down the original listing for this particular claw. The seller found the claw in one piece but with the proximal end twisted about 15 degrees off position. The claw was realigned and re inflated. The proximal end was restored to about 3/8s of an inch with about an 1/8 of an inch restoration at the very tip. 

906872CC-FDB2-4F8B-951F-2F4A8BE36DDF.jpeg

This listing dated back to, I think 2011. I found another listing for the claw, late 2011, this time from a UK dealer.  The persons I aquired the claw probably purchased it from that dealer. Both    

sellers had mistakenly identified the claw as Chirostenotes 

25 minutes ago, bcfossilcollector said:

Some additional information as regards this claw. I’ve managed to track down the original listing for this particular claw. The seller found the claw in one piece but with the proximal end twisted about 15 degrees off position. The claw was realigned and re inflated. The proximal end was restored to about 3/8s of an inch with about an 1/8 of an inch restoration at the very tip. 

906872CC-FDB2-4F8B-951F-2F4A8BE36DDF.jpeg

Did the seller state why he restored the proximal end? Was it missing?

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Pretty good sleuthing to find out this much.

It certainly took a while:)

Archived