gobbler716

This is a very recent find from the Cahaba River Valley.  One person on the Facebook page identified this as a belemnite.  Is this the general consensus?  To my knowledge I have never seen one. I  have a regular paper clip for size reference.

1513787273674.jpg

1513787293817.jpg

5 minutes ago, Foozil said:

better pics may help.

+1 for that

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I will try to get one better.  Most of the plant life I find is 300,000,000 y.o. plus or minus.

10 minutes ago, gobbler716 said:

300,000,000 y.o. plus

AKA Carboniferous, Pennsylvanian. You say plant life, are these then terrestrial deposits? I’ve never heard of a land belemnite:P

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

21 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

AKA Carboniferous, Pennsylvanian. You say plant life, are these then terrestrial deposits? I’ve never heard of a land belemnite:P

Distant cousin to the land shark.

18 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Distant cousin to the land shark.

What a scary place the Carboniferous must have been....

Happy hunting,

Mason

part of a root maybe

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The area I hunt is a reclaimed coal mine, so the different layers by age have been commingled.  In one trip you find calamites mixed in with clam-like fossils. Aging the area would be difficult. We find tons of calamites, then drive a few minutes and you find shark teeth. If you ask how old it is, I can't give a definitive answer.   I hope this helps.

Sounds like the sea is retreating and coming back, not uncommon for the Carboniferous climate (the whole shark tooth thing I’m guessing is a different formation all together). The shininess of the fossil is bothering me, I can’t really make a judgement till I see sharper pictures.

Happy hunting,

Mason

5 hours ago, gobbler716 said:

The area I hunt is a reclaimed coal mine, so the different layers by age have been commingled.  In one trip you find calamites mixed in with clam-like fossils. Aging the area would be difficult. We find tons of calamites, then drive a few minutes and you find shark teeth. If you ask how old it is, I can't give a definitive answer.   I hope this helps.

There is however absolutely no question that all of these coal deposits are from the carboniferous, even if they are somewhat mixed up, so that rules out belemnite completely, since they first came into existence during a much younger age. I'd say either root or burrow.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Unfortunately those second set of pics aren't much better. What camera are you using? Can you try again? In carboniferous coal deposits it is common to find marine and non marine fossils very close together. But not belemnite.

26 minutes ago, Plax said:

xenacanth spine? this is a wild guess

I was leaning that way..perhaps optimistically 

10 minutes ago, gobbler716 said:

West Coast, why is that?  Too many years between species existence? Location?

The coal formed along low lying coastal plains on delta margins. Slight fluctuations  in relative sea level (due to delta sediment settling/compaction and/or global sea level changes associated with the carboniferous glaciations) meant these areas were inundated by sea water at fairly regular intervals. Some of the faunas are interpreted as living in brackish waters, so not fully open marine and not quite fully freshwater either. 

7 hours ago, westcoast said:

But not belemnite.

1 hour ago, gobbler716 said:

Too many years between species existence?

I think these fit together making 'both' a good answer. 

On 9.1.2018 at 3:53 PM, gobbler716 said:

West Coast, why is that?  Too many years between species existence? Location?

Belemnitida (Belemnites) are an order rather than a species. They appeared during the Triassic period and existed up to the end of the Cretaceous. If you study a geological timescale  you will see that the Carboniferous period is much older than the Triassic, which leads to the logical conclusion that belemnites did not exist at the time that the coal deposits which you are collecting were laid down.                                    

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Please, better photos will help a lot.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Archived