CenTex Brach with spines perserved

thair

I went out to a site near Lake Brownwood here in Cen Texas Penn for a little while this last Saturday. Found one Brachiopod that has some spins preserved which is very unusual for this part of the world. Also found a neat grouping of Brachiopods that cleaned up nice.

1-8-18IMG_1221.jpg

1-8-18IMG_1222.jpg

1-8-18IMG_1224.jpg

1-8-18IMG_1225.jpg

1-8-18IMG_1226.jpg

Cool to see one with spines still attached.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

• Fossildude19 changed the title to CenTex Brach with spines perserved

Nice to find those with the spines still there.  What process did you use to clean and prep?  Nice job.

The spines are nice but I'm particularly enamored with the brachiopod cluster.  You don't find many of those with that kind of quality around these parts!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Thanks for the comments. I like the cluster since it shows the inside of a valve along with the others. The one with the spins is as I found it. I am afraid to do anything else to it. 

Very nice finds. I am envious of both the cluster and the spiny brach too. I don't get Carboniferous brachs too often in my collecting travels.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Shamalama...

We get Pennsylvanian brachiopods in abundance in certain areas of Texas (especially around the Jacksboro, Bridgeport/Brownwood area) but they're not usually quite that nice!  I guess I'm going to have to pay a little more attention to the Brownwood area this year!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

On 9.1.2018 at 1:56 AM, thair said:

The one with the spins is as I found it. I am afraid to do anything else to it. 

I can understand that, but it sure would be nice to repair and expose it a bit more if possible, since it's such a special find.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Ludwigia,

Yes I think an air abrader would work on it but I have not got one. I have been meaning to get one for years.

2 minutes ago, thair said:

Ludwigia,

Yes I think an air abrader would work on it but I have not got one. I have been meaning to get one for years.

Too bad. It sure makes a world of difference if you're willing to make the investment.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I've never seen one with spines, and your cluster is very nice, thank you for sharing this with us.:yay-smiley-1:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Archived