Beaumaris Trip

izak_

Oh the Beaumaris are splendid! Love them! The toadfish plate is cool. Nice finds. 

As a kid I always wanted to dive off of Australia. The closest I ever got for diving was the Hawaiian Islands. I made it to New Zealand once, but didn’t do any diving. Maybe one day I’ll make it there. Very cool that you found so many fossils diving or snorkeling. 

@Foozil Interesting, I've only dived the Mentone side although I have found the occasional tooth on the shore of Black Rock side. As for the Lovenia, you can't miss them on the shore :D

Yeah, we also found the Diodon plate and port jackson shark tooth on the Black rock side too. I know they're extremely common but I like the lovenia, they have such an interesting pattern and shape :D 

It's always interesting to note how many sites and/or horizons around the world yield an overabundance of a particular species, as is the case with Lovenia here, whereby if the collector never gets there, it's a rarity for him or her :)

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Please, for the good understanding of all, write the first time in your text full name of "C." to know what wants to means "C." of hastalis C. Then only after that you can write C. hastalis, in this way everybody knows about which species you speak, even those who don't know the sharks ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

1 minute ago, Coco said:

Hi,

Please, for the good understanding of all, the first time in your text write full what wants to means C. of C. hastalis. Then after that you can only writ C. hastalis, in that way everybody knows about which species you speak, even those who don't know sharks ;)

Coco

Good point, fixed :) 

I have fond memories of walking the shore adjacent to the Beaumaris Motor Yacht Squadron. I love the name too because to me a squadron is a military grouping of 3-10 ships and I've never understood how it applied to the BMYS (two countries separated by a single language :P). The Lovenia are quite common along the shore (we were there in early spring and the though of diving offshore there sends chills down my spine). We arranged a permit to take some Lovenia back to the States with us and in addition to a nice little collection sitting in a bowl by my bedside (with some Eupatagus antillarum from Florida) we had enough to send some nice specimens to the Florida Museum of Natural History (FLMNH) as comparative specimens for their echinoid collection and to send some out as part of the TFF rolling auction. They are really quite common in the formation and I wouldn't be surprised if they were an indicator fossil for the Beaumaris Sandstone. How do you know that these were "dumped" off the jetty and not just an unusually high density? Were they all suspiciously found in tight proximity?

How goes the fight to keep the BMYS from expanding and closing off access to this wonderful fossil outcrop?

http://www.nobeaumarismarina.com/

Cheers.

-Ken

They were probably dumped, hundreds within an about 1x1 meter square. Quite common is an understatement :P I'm pretty sure the extension i s only in proposal stage but I could be wrong.

Does sound like someone "enriched" that area with a bunch of extras that they may have collected over time. That would seem to be an outrageous density otherwise (but I'm sure stranger things have happened--like mass mortality layers in the fossil record). We enjoyed refining our search image and spotting many fine prizes along the beach--great fun and a high point of our down under anniversary trip.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/70070-quick-trip-to-beaumaris-cliffs-australia/

The local fossil hunters seem quite up in arms over the proposed closure of Beaumaris for fossil hunting. I hope it only a proposal (that receives a lot of pushback).

Cheers.

-Ken

Nice finds! They certainly are (not just the locals), but if it does happen its not going to be the end of the site.

1 hour ago, digit said:

Does sound like someone "enriched" that area with a bunch of extras that they may have collected over time. That would seem to be an outrageous density otherwise (but I'm sure stranger things have happened--like mass mortality layers in the fossil record). We enjoyed refining our search image and spotting many fine prizes along the beach--great fun and a high point of our down under anniversary trip.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/70070-quick-trip-to-beaumaris-cliffs-australia/

The local fossil hunters seem quite up in arms over the proposed closure of Beaumaris for fossil hunting. I hope it only a proposal (that receives a lot of pushback).

Cheers.

-Ken

Are you just talking about the expansion of the yacht squadron here, or something else that will specifically ban collecting? 

I know that they are trying to get world heritage status for Beaumaris, which if successful, would also possibly make it illegal to collect here by default? I hope not though. 

Edit- now that i think about it, the Jurassic Coast in England is also a world heritage site and is still collectable. Though maybe Australia will be different... you certainly can't just go up to Riversleigh or Naracoorte and start collecting for example (both current world heritage sites)

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

That is something to consider. You want the site protected so the fossil site doesn't end up under thousands of cubic meters of cement or roped off into a private area where the public is no longer welcome to venture BUT affording it status on the level of a World Heritage Site could make it so protected that its value as a public collecting locality becomes compromised.

I've only been to this site once so I don't know enough about the local politics to know what is happening down there (other than that I've heard rumors and seen the websites trying to protect this fossil locality).

So many great fossil sites get shut down for so many reasons that I hope this charming little site avoids that fate and stays open for collectors and professionals to enjoy.

We had a limited time there and were only focusing on the copious echinoids ("Lovely Little Lovenias") at the site. If I lived in the area, I'd be exploring it on a regular basis and would quickly get into the more expanded richness of finds available there.

Cheers.

-Ken

I love the trilobites, both acquired and found (the ones that you found at the roadcut look nicely preserved - do you think that there's more of each bug under the matrix?).  The echinoids are also really cute - Viola and I (as well as a few others) are the proud owners of the ones that Ken @digit put up for auction last year :)

Thanks! They would go into the rock more but the rock is very difficult to prep, I'll probably get someone else to prep it for me.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2018 at 8:23 AM, digit said:

That is something to consider. You want the site protected so the fossil site doesn't end up under thousands of cubic meters of cement or roped off into a private area where the public is no longer welcome to venture BUT affording it status on the level of a World Heritage Site could make it so protected that its value as a public collecting locality becomes compromised.

I've only been to this site once so I don't know enough about the local politics to know what is happening down there (other than that I've heard rumors and seen the websites trying to protect this fossil locality).

I have been to the Beaumaris site recently and there are signs up that are encouraging people to vote on whether the site should become a National Heritage site or not. Which means it would get additional protections on top of any protection it would get as a World Heritage site (if it was given World Heritage status).

The website to vote at is:

https://www.yoursay.bayside.vic.gov.au/beaumaris-bay

If it became a National Heritage site, it would still be open to look at, but off limits for collecting. (similar to the Limestone Road fossil site in Yea, Victoria)

The problem is that many people would disregard the rules and collect anyway :( (seen and heard of plenty of that at other sites!)

But if the site wasn't protected, it would be destroyed by the yacht squadron - even worse!

I can't make up my mind!

12 minutes ago, Echinoid said:

I can't make up my mind!

Rarely is there a clear cut “right” decision in these matters. My view is that over time, the fossils will be changed no matter what. The voice therein lies whether you would rather have the public and people collect and risk some specimens being lost to science and the site being depleted, or would you rather the site be left to slowly erode away with only a small contingency of scientists collecting for collections that may never be exhibited (this choice has the added disadvantage of not inspiring young people to pursue such things). Maybe I’m just a pessimist. I tend to go with the first option as scientifically important specimens usually end up in the right hands in the end, and raising awareness for fossils is good. Also great for us amateurs. In the end though, the decision should be made by the community around the site as many intricate details are interwoven into such issues, 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

P.S. @Foozil the label for the GW is a mistyped, should be Carcharodon carcharias 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, Foozil said:

The rest of the word is under the tooth :) 

Looks like it say charcharias

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

Looks like it say charcharias

Oh yeah... sorry, I missed that. I'll fix it, it's not my label. 

2 minutes ago, Foozil said:

Oh yeah... sorry, I missed that. I'll fix it, it's not my label. 

No problem, just wanted to let you know:)

Happy hunting,

Mason

13 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

No problem, just wanted to let you know:)

Thank you for letting me know, I never would've noticed :) 

56 minutes ago, Echinoid said:

If it became a National Heritage site, it would still be open to look at, but off limits for collecting. (similar to the Limestone Road fossil site in Yea, Victoria)

The problem is that many people would disregard the rules and collect anyway :( (seen and heard of plenty of that at other sites!)

But if the site wasn't protected, it would be destroyed by the yacht squadron - even worse!

Now that's just textbook "caught between a rock and a hard place". It is a great fossil locality and many locals and extreme non-locals (like me) have greatly enjoyed and collected there. I've even donated a number of specimens to my local museum (FLMNH) for comparative echinoid specimens. I don't really have a say (not being an Aussie) but I'd have to think that World/National Heritage Site protects the fossils but (as you mention) they likely won't be regularly collected and will erode away to worthless rubble. The other option of having the Beaumaris Yacht Squadron expand and block collecting access with a larger marina is not a great alternative either. 

If I had to bet on the future, I'd probably (selfishly) vote against World/National Heritage if it were to preclude any collecting by amateurs and take my chances that the local government might possibly turn down the expansion of the BMYC so that the result is the status quo of a small boat marina and open collecting for amateurs. There is really nothing to be gained by making collecting off limits to amateurs and I wish there was a middle ground where there was some sort of permitting and collecting allowed so that scientifically important specimens would go the the Victoria Museum but amateurs could fill barrels full of Lovenia woodsi (and other common species that are of little scientific interest since they are excessively well represented in scientific collections). The reason we were able to legally export these lovely little echinoids out of Australia is that they are so common as to not be of further scientific interest beyond what has already been collected. There are many "common" fossils that are very plentiful at this site which science has no interest in but amateur collectors would gladly make the trip to collect. If there was some mechanism to make sure that rarer finds found their way to the local museum and allowed common fossils to be treasured by amateurs rather than being eroded to rubble, that would be the best possible win-win.

Cheers.

-Ken

Very nice finds! Love the rodent jaw too, nice pick! 

What species is that giant bivalve in the middle of the invertebrate photo? It looks awesome!!!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Archived