Intermediate and Symphyseal/Parasymphyseal teeth in sharks

The Jersey Devil

Hey everyone, I was just wondering what exactly intermediate teeth were and also what the difference between symphyseal and parasymphyseal teeth is.

Image result for carcharias taurus  The small fourth tooth in the upper jaw of Carcharias taurus is marked as an intermediate.

Thanks for any help!

• I found this Informative 1

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Hi josehstrizhak I will try, a symphyseal tooth is in the center of the lower  jaw and the two parasymphyseal teeth off center in the upper jaw and the two intermediate are the third tooth on the left or right  sifde of the upper jaw because it is a flex point in the jaw. That's the best I can come with for now. HAPPY NEW YEARS George  PS; I  hope someone can add to that. 

• I found this Informative 3

Look at  "A Key to the Common Genera of Neogene Shark Teeth" 2006 by Robert W. Purdy at the below link.  It will have the definitions that you asked about.  Your picture comes from this paper.

http://paleobiology.si.edu/pdfs/sharktoothKey.pdf

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png