Unkown mammal jaw from kemkem

Hunter0811

Hi, 

This doesn't appear to be a mammal jaw. Instead I'm fairly certain this is the lower jaw of an amiid (Bowfin) fish. I've collected quite a few from the Eocene/Oligocene of the UK and there's a strong resemblance to your specimen. Amiids lived (and still do) in a wide range of freshwater (and some brackish) environments, which I think matches nicely with some of the depositional environments of the Kem Kem. 

Hope this helps.

Hmm i believe you but i can't find anything on the internet about it, can you send a few pictures from your bowfish jaw? Also the fish doesn't seem that big to me... i'll send a few more pics of the jaw...

IMG_6873.JPG

IMG_6875.JPG

IMG_6879.JPG

@Hunter0811

Bowfins can be pretty big fish, and some older genera and subfamilies could grow much larger than modern species. Here is an image of probably one the best examples I have, although it's slightly beach worn. This is probably the genus Amia, but there are several subfamilies with the Amiidae yours could originate from. There is a genus called Calamopleurus from the lower Cretaceous of Africa which could be a likely candidate for your Kem Kem jaw, but I wouldn't be able to say for certain. 

P1030337.JPG

Seeing that pic of @TXV24's bowfish, i see the resemblance with your specimen, so i'll go with him.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Yes me to now, i just didn't saw any before and on the internet you can't find much about it. Thanks for the help everyone!!

Archived