Richardoestesia question

Anomotodon

I have recently acquired a nice Richardoestesia tooth from Hell Creek. I suppose it's R. isosceles.

I decided to read more about this species, and felt really confused. Why is it even considered a dromaeosaur?? As far as I know, dromaeosaur teeth are not only usually smaller and strongly distally recurved, but also have no or very fine serrations on the mesial side and coarse serrations on the distal side. Richardoestesia teeth I've seen lack all of these characteristics: they have identical very fine serrations, straight and relatively large crowns.

Actually, such teeth remind me a of land crocodylians, such as Sebecus from the Cenozoic, however Richardoestesia teeth are somewhat more labio-lingually compressed.

image.thumb.png.5298ec8cbb05fb52bb53a5b968d67038.png

image.thumb.png.c5e01a5aa9597cd40a2529b6f92f48d6.png

The Tooth Fairy

There are two types of Richardoestesia found in the Hell Creek, R. gilmorei and R. isosceles but they are NOT formally described. R. isosceles is usually identified correctly by dealers simply because it looks like an isosceles triangle.  The other one is usually misidentified or most sellers do not know it even exists or how to ID them.  R. isosceles is the questionable taxon and currently being studied simply because a jaw I provided the ROM contained those teeth and a Paronychodon tooth in the same jaw.   The initial research is not conclusive enough to warrant describing a new species but they are leaning toward it being a Pterosaur.  More jaw specimens are needed to continue the investigation.

The one shown by John is a R. gilmorei

Let me add that R. isosceles was described solely based on a tooth and lost, "tooth Taxon"  Species are no longer described by teeth alone.

• I found this Informative 4

Thanks everyone!

But were there any pterosaurs with serrated teeth in Campanian-Maastricthtian? Didn't they go extinct much earlier?

And also Paronychodon... Do you have any pictures of this jaw? It seems like a very interesting topic.

The Tooth Fairy

17 minutes ago, Anomotodon said:

Thanks everyone!

But were there any pterosaurs with serrated teeth in Campanian-Maastricthtian? Didn't they go extinct much earlier?

And also Paronychodon... Do you have any pictures of this jaw? It seems like a very interesting topic.

No idea and that conclusion which is very tentative came from a very notable paleontologist who was studying this.   Since the jaw is still being studied and not in my possession I would rather not post pictures that will fly everywhere. 

• I found this Informative 4

17 hours ago, Anomotodon said:

Thanks everyone!

Am thinking that toothed pterosaurs went extinct perhaps in the cenomanian but toothless taxa persisted until the K/PG event. Not positive here, just opining.

• 1 year later...
On 9-1-2018 at 10:26 PM, Troodon said:

No idea and that conclusion which is very tentative came from a very notable paleontologist who was studying this.   Since the jaw is still being studied and not in my possession I would rather not post pictures that will fly everywhere. 

are they writing an article about it? and if so do you have any idea when it will be ready, I would love reading an article like that!

I do not know, but I doubt anything will be published on this specimen until new discoveries are made.

1 hour ago, Hunter0811 said:

are they writing an article about it? and if so do you have any idea when it will be ready, I would love reading an article like that!

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

I do not know, but I doubt anything will be published on this specimen until new discoveries are made.

Oke that makes sense, but's also a shame ;) guess we will have to wait.. also can you help me with my bird bone, I am fairly sure its a tibia but would like confirmation. Its in the "primitive bird fossils" topic. 

Thank you in advance!