CenTex Brach from trip last spring

thair

I went out to a site near Lake Brownwood here in Cen Texas Penn last spring. To my disappointment the land owner had decided to cover the exposure with dirt so he could grow grass?! I have hunted this spot in the past and it yields very well preserved fossils but he had not quit cover a small wash so I was able to find some he had not buried. The next time I try this spot there will probably only be grass. "Bulldozer giveth and bulldozer takes away" as someone said one time.

1-9-18IMG_1227.jpg

1-9-18IMG_1228.jpg

1-9-18IMG_1229.jpg

1-9-18IMG_1231.jpg

1-9-18IMG_1232.jpg

1-9-18IMG_1233.jpg

1-9-18IMG_1236.jpg

1-9-18IMG_1237.jpg

1-9-18IMG_1240.jpg

Wow!! Those brachs and gastropods are exceptionally nice. Pennsylvanian age? Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Those are wonderful. Too bad it's covered over... and too bad more people don't have more of an appreciation for fossils that they could be convinced to not destroy or cover up all the good collecting sites.. I guess covering up is better than outright destruction or remaining exposed to the weather with a collecting ban in place.

Are all the fossils from the same formation? The gastropods look more Cretaceous. The photo below looks like a Pennsylvanian pecten and not a brachiopod. I'd love to find one like it in Arizona.

1-9-18IMG_1237.jpg.f3d54e2febd11f5ef1ec633c9d0ce52c.jpg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Too bad the site is getting covered over. Well they have stood the test of time so far. Perhaps they can remain in place and some collectors in the future will have a bonanza just waiting for them.

At least you had a chance to "rescue" some before they got buried.

Very nice samples you posted.

Yes they are Pennsylvanian and from the same location. And yes the one is not a brachopod it is a pectin as you said. Thanks

Neat ones, i'm jealous, that's a pity to know this place will be covered with grass !:envy:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Great finds.  Keep that spot marked on a map.  A few good rains or a flash flood could expose it again in the future.

Archived