DPS Ammonite

What type is this sponge from the Pennsylvanian Naco Fm. from near Payson, Arizona? The silicified sponge is about 1.5 to 2 inches across. Was it originally a silicious or calcareous sponge?

Does anyone know of an expert who is interested in undescribed sponges from Arizona/USA? I know of at least 3 other undescribed Arizona sponges.

Thanks,

John

P1020534 (1280x876).jpg

P1020536 (1102x1280).jpg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I think, the distinction between them can be based on the material that forms the spicules. If the spicules are made out of calcium carbonate (calcite, aragonite), then the sponge is calcareous sponge, if the spicules are made out of silicon dioxide, then the sponge is silicious sponge. Also, it can be a complete silicification process of the fossil when the replacement of calcite by silica leaves a perfect representation of the fossil, but also can destroy it completely. I suppose your specimen is silica rich, but that not means it is a siliceous sponge (hexactinellid) from the origin.

Beautiful colors, BTW! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I found a very similar sponge at the intersection of Horton Creek and Tonto Creek.  It is still in matrix, maybe I need to plunge this one in the acid bath!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

Heliospongia is a possibility, particularly if the spicules form rows like this:

post-6808-0-78809900-1356163456.thumb.jpg.366a9688eaf180058ef1411b9392765b.jpg

I've read that the spicules of Heliospongia were originally made up of opaline silica. Specimens collected in the Pennsylvanian rocks of my area, on the other hand, were either replaced by calcite, or silica (above image). 

Since these sponges are often the only silicified fossils in various beds, I think the original silica may have acted as a nucleus for subsequent silica mineralization, forming what could be called concretions. Example:

484-Captain-Creek-Heliospongia.thumb.jpg.ac5acebcf471da052d00a097d94b37c7.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Context is critical.

Nice colors, wonderful !:yay-smiley-1:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

I'm pretty sure you have this document, John, but for those who haven't see it before, here it is.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library