Intrepid New Zealand fossil hunter hopes he has found a dinosaur

Doctor Mud

Story of an intrepid fossil hunter in New Zealand who hopes he has found a dinosaur.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/100187691/game-of-bones-has-glen-dug-up-a-dinosaur-or-is-it-a-whale-of-a-tale

IMG_4192.thumb.PNG.3ea3c86018be75e15291a4f3fd8e14e4.PNGIMG_4191.thumb.PNG.8b6b9dbfbd6dc598b18b5558fd977d48.PNG

Says the fossil will be 6 foot long when complete.

Looks like Miocene siltstone concretion that is common to the area (Taranaki) so I'm betting it could be a baleen whale skull. Alas for this bloke, not a dinosaur

@Boesse what do you think? I recommended he get in touch with Ewan.

Well it is bone and it is obviously in rock, therefore it must be a dinosaur.:shrug:

We know this because only dino bones can be in rock,right?:headscratch:

:hearty-laugh::hearty-laugh::hearty-laugh:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

When becoming an intrepid fossil hunter, a basic idea of geological timescale is important...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

18 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

When becoming an intrepid fossil hunter, a basic idea of geological timescale is important...

Many people see and think what they want to see and think.  But still, a cool rock either way. 

RB

31 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Very true. Sounds

like this guy has a great collection. It is always nice to me to know the context or the burning question .....how old are these?

Well he has found a spectacular fossil and It seems to have sparked him to want to know more which should lead to more knowledge on the geology of his area.

15 minutes ago, RJB said:

Many people see and think what they want to see and think.  But still, a cool rock either way. 

RB

I reckon. And it doesn't have to be a dinosaur to be cool either. By the size of his fossil (only part is shown) he could have a decent chunk of whale skull which might be important. Would have to see the other bits. But he says the whole rock is 6 foot long.

17 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

I reckon. And it doesn't have to be a dinosaur to be cool either. By the size of his fossil (only part is shown) he could have a decent chunk of whale skull which might be important. Would have to see the other bits. But he says the whole rock is 6 foot long.

Yeah,, a really cool rock.  Just wish it was mine to prep.   But I can do with the lowly crab fossil?  Ha!  :)

RB

13 minutes ago, Boesse said:

Those are definitely, definitely baleen whale mandibles!

Awesome!

Says he has much more of this - hopfully some ear bones too??

Hope he gets in touch with Ewan or you could try and get in touch with him. Could be an interesting specimen....

i met the guy he was high on drugs driving back and forth along the road with a gun trying to scare me off because he didnt like fossil hunters. thats a bit ironic.

in his surrounding area there are hundreds of fossil crabs found (miocene) known localy as crab valley. he even had a tumidocarcinus giganteus claw he was trying to sell for $20.000 LOL  from my impression it was all about the money.

Archived