One messy prep bench!!!

RJB

I know there are fossil preppers out that are very clean and very orginized.  Im not one of them.  Here is what im used to.  Lots and lots and lots of rock chips and dust everywhere!!!  And the sheIf is about a 12 inches above my prep bench but the chips really go a flying!!  I do have just enough room to do my work but I can see thats it almost time for a 'clean-up'.  The thing is, for me, is that if there is rock chips everywhere, then Im doing lots of prep.  Belive me, I have to dump at least two 5 gallon buckets a year to the 'rock hole'.  It really amazes me that I remove that much rock in little bits!!!  But in the end, I end up with some really good fossils.  Just glad that I have time to make such a mess!  Ha!!  :)   Here is a question, "who else has a clean prep bench"?  I think not?

RB

DSCN1377.JPG

DSCN1378.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

My bench is relatively clean, but that's because I do my work in a cabin with a see-through top which is sitting on the bench. Now THAT is always a mess, until I run out of room and have to clean it out again. And the workshop is always full of dust, which I try to blow out the door with the air pistol. I vacuum once a week and dust properly maybe once every 3 months.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

This is a recent before and after, but both of these before I got the new scope and added the second work table. The basement area is not very spacious, so I economize using layers and insets. I'll soon be adding the blast box to the second table, and creating holsters for the scribe and air eraser. The mess is mostly on account of falling behind on trip buckets. :P 

IMG_4212.JPG

IMG_4408.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

@Ludwigia, I should clean up about once a month but i know thats not gunna happen.  :)

@Kane,  Your space looks tiny, but really all one needs is a place to sit and work. 

RB

@RJB, my station is a total train wreck at all times as well. I find it to be much easier to work when everything is in its place and everything’s place is the same place! I always know where to look for something if everything is in one big pile. :P

Mine is spotless right now but only because I just finished building a new lab and am ready to start working in it.  I have not had the chance to make a mess yet.  The fun begins tonight on a Cretaceous mammal.  

9 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

RJB, my station is a total train wreck at all times as well. I find it to be much easier to work when everything is in its place and everything’s place is the same place! I always know where to look for something if everything is in one big pile.

For some reason I thing you are stretching things a bit?

7 hours ago, jpc said:

Mine is spotless right now but only because I just finished building a new lab and am ready to start working in it.  I have not had the chance to make a mess yet.  The fun begins tonight on a Cretaceous mammal.

You, my freind, always have some really good fossil/s to work on.  Im looking forward to seeing your 'mess'. 

RB

Do you ever accidentally lose a piece of the fossil that pops off and it goes flying? And if so, can you ever find it again in that mess? Maybe you're a good enough prepper now that that never happens, but for me I can imagine it would. Especially with my flaky shale.

15 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Do you ever accidentally lose a piece of the fossil that pops off and it goes flying? And if so, can you ever find it again in that mess? Maybe you're a good enough prepper now that that never happens, but for me I can imagine it would. Especially with my flaky shale.

It does happen, but not very often.

RB