Drawing indoors a third.time 2018

fossilcrazy

Moving away from Trilobites, I wanted to try my hand at a fish. This is my rendition of Priscacara serrata, a common species of the Miocene, in the Green River Formation. The fish looks like a Perch, or a Bass, because all three are in the Percinae Family. Priscacara is an extinct member.

P1010001.JPG

Priscacara leaned Half.JPG

Another fantastic rendition, John!  :) 

Well done. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Another Nice one!:dinothumb:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice job again John - talk about attention to detail.

Now that you've provided that for people to download I bet you'll start seeing it all over the internet....

To make an accurate rendition, I kept noting details from a complete Priscacara fossil skeleton; like the number and placement of spines. The outline of the fin edges was important as is the overall body girth too. The extant Perch and Bass have subtle differences from Priscacara. The size of the scales and lateral line is a subjective choice. I was rushing the scales because of the monotony; the scales should have matched up better diagonally.

Nice! :wub: It's amazing how much artistic talent is to be found around here.

On another note, I see you (or someone in your household) crosses off days in their calendar.  I know people who do that, but to me that seems to make the ever-accelerating passage of time all too real.  Yep, another day killed off (kind of like the X's in the eyes of dead cartoon characters).

Don

Don,

As one gets older, the passage of days can slip by. How is one to follow reminders without a place marker. Retirement is good if you still have your wits about you.

I used to think I would never want to retire.  I don't think that any more.  I still love my career most of the time, but I don't want to do it until I drop.  Too many other things to do/experience

Don

On 1/10/2018 at 3:19 PM, fossilcrazy said:

Moving away from Trilobites, I wanted to try my hand at a fish. This is my rendition of Priscacara serrata, a common species of the Miocene, in the Green River Formation. The fish looks like a Perch, or a Bass, because all three are in the Percinae Family. Priscacara is an extinct member.

P1010001.JPG

Priscacara leaned Half.JPG

If this is what you do to pass the time when the weather is bad we should hope for a long, cold winter. :doh!:

(Spoken by someone who lives in sunny California.)

Archived