Pretty sure an some type of Oreodont

Samuelfritz

Hey guys! Found this Oreodont skull in an old man's collection. I'm more of a dinosaur guy, and can't find any good Oreodont references. Can you help?

IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1466.JPG

It is a oreodont, but not one I am familiar with ( which only includes Merycoidodon culbertsoni :ighappy:) Maybe someone like @jpc could help.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

It is a oreodont, but not one I am familiar with ( which only includes Merycoidodon culbertsoni 

Actually, from the size, M. culbertsoni  is not a bad bet. Also, from an odds standpoint, that critter being the most commonly found Oreodont. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Just now, snolly50 said:

Actually, from the size, M. culbertsoni  is not a bad bet. Also, from an odds standpoint, that critter being the most commonly found Oreodont. 

Something’s putting me off from that with this one, I don’t know why...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I agree...oreodont.  You might find some useful links in the Merycoidodontidae section of my pdf library here on The Fossil Forum.  Here's a LINK.

Keep in mind that the phylogeny of the oreodonts is still a matter of contention!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

7 hours ago, jpc said:

Oreodont for sure.  I see no reason to not call it culbertsoni.   But I am no expert at the species level.

I guess my knowledge is strictly limited to “yes oreodont” Or “no oreodont”.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived