Trilobite Olenoides serratus 3D Reconstuction

3depix

Hello everybody, 

This is my first post and first piece of artwork I would like to share and, hopefully, receive some feedback. I do 3D animation and rendering for living, but paleontology is my life long interest and passion. Here is my 3D reconstruction of Cambrian trilobite Olenoides serratus that was a common member of the famous Burgess Shale biota. I actually live just 250 km apart from the famous Burgess Shale quarry (and 100 km from Albertan Red Deer badlands rich with dinosaur fosslis).

Olenoides_serratus.thumb.jpg.b086ec22af0389b96c745d718574ec4d.jpgOs_03.thumb.jpg.8cb50fb26f358ca38eaab3f68eb4c72e.jpgOs_01.thumb.jpg.fade33969edefe4f83cf43cdae3d8c77.jpg

Edited by 3depix
  • I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 2

Welcome to the Forum! 

This is wonderful work! :wub: 

Do you mind sharing some of your tools/processes in creating this work of art?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to the forum from Maryland! Very nice! I hope you do more of these, some prehistoric critters would look quite well in this type of art I reckon!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

7 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Welcome to the Forum! 

This is wonderful work! :wub: 

Do you mind sharing some of your tools/processes in creating this work of art?

Thank you very much!

Here is how my process looks. First, I create the basic model in 3D Studio Max (having collected all the reference material, of course). Then, when the model is done I take it to ZBrush and sculpt all the fine details. I also paint the model in ZBrush. When it is done I export the model back to 3DS Max along with the textures (color map, bump map and displacement map). After that I create the materials/shaders for the model, feed all the textures into it, set up the scene (lighting, environment) and render.

• I found this Informative 5

13 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Welcome to the forum from Maryland! Very nice! I hope you do more of these, some prehistoric critters would look quite well in this type of art I reckon!

Thank you! I will definitely be making more 3D reconstructions :)

Thanks for the reply!

May I ask, are you using a tablet, or computer or both?

Truly inspiring work. Can't wait to see more.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

6 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Thanks for the reply!

May I ask, are you using a tablet, or computer or both?

Truly inspiring work. Can't wait to see more.

I use both. For 3DS Max modeling I use just the mouse and keyboard, but I use the tablet for ZBrush. It is just an old Intuos 4 Wacom tablet, so I still see the result on the monitor, not like you would with a Cintiq one where you actually draw on its screen.

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks again. :) 

:trilowalk:

11 minutes ago, fossilized6s said:

Great job! Is this animated at all? 

Thanks!

Not yet, but I am planning to. It is all rigged though and ready to be animated. Just need to come up with the proper Cambrian environment.

9 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Beautiful! 

I particularly like the underside. 

Lovely work. :)

Thank you! Yeah, the underside was a pain in a certain place to create. Not even sure if I had model all those appendages, most of them aren't seen from the top anyways.

This creation is amazing. Almost too good in the sense that I can feel this creepy bug crawling on me!!!

8 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Very impressive! You're certainly off to a good start here. Are those your own choice of colors or did you get some tips from scientific papers?

@Ludwigia Thank you!

The color scheme is a complete speculation of mine. I haven't heard of any research or discovery of trilobite or other early arthropod colors or coloration patterns. Have you?

I know, they are now restoring the colors of some feathered theropods, color patterns of Psittacosaurus, some pterosaurs, marine reptiles and Placoderms, but that's all I am aware of.

2 hours ago, 3depix said:

@Ludwigia Thank you!

The color scheme is a complete speculation of mine. I haven't heard of any research or discovery of trilobite or other early arthropod colors or coloration patterns. Have you?

I know, they are now restoring the colors of some feathered theropods, color patterns of Psittacosaurus, some pterosaurs, marine reptiles and Placoderms, but that's all I am aware of.

I'm also not sure myself, but maybe @piranha could throw some light on the subject.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Very nice rendering! That trilobite looks ready to crawl off the screen.  There are a few papers on trilobite color patterns; of course they don't show the original color but they do show patterns.  I recall a paper about color patterns on a Cambrian trilobite, and several Devonian Eldredgeops with color patterns are known.  

Can your renderings be converted to a file for a 3D printer?  That would be extremely cool.

Don

@FossilDAWG Thanks Don!

Do you have a good source where you can the paper on a certain topic? Say, if I want to do the research on trilobite patterns, where do I look for the papers on this topic in the internet?

Also right now I am working on Ceratosaurus 3D model and I know there are some skin impressions of this dinosaur that have been found, but I don't know how to find the photos or papers on this subject. Do you know any particular sources where I should search for this kind of info?

Here in the Forum, one of our members (Fruitbat) maintains an extensive collection of links to pdfs covering almost all matters paleontological.

I also have found Google Scholar to be excellent at retrieving published papers, much better than just using Google.

I'll PM you with a trilobite paper that might be useful.  However no one trilobite is likely to be a good proxy for trilobites in general.  Color patterns are likely to depend on environment (depth, infaunal vs epifaunal lifestyle (buried in the mud vs crawling on the surface), presence/nature of predators (fish vs cephalopods).  Your imagination/intuition is likely to be as good a guide as any.  Also you could think about color patterns on modern crabs/lobsters.

Don

15 minutes ago, 3depix said:

@FossilDAWG Thanks Don!

Do you have a good source where you can the paper on a certain topic? Say, if I want to do the research on trilobite patterns, where do I look for the papers on this topic in the internet?

Also right now I am working on Ceratosaurus 3D model and I know there are some skin impressions of this dinosaur that have been found, but I don't know how to find the photos or papers on this subject. Do you know any particular sources where I should search for this kind of info?

You can certainly try your local university library. https://library.ucalgary.ca/ 

You won't have digital access to their holdings unless you are a student or faculty member there, but it will provide you with the call numbers should you find yourself at the university. Regrettably, you may find some of the journal articles are held only as part of their digital subscriptions, but you may have some luck finding older texts given the broad nature of your search. I tried out "trilobite chromatophores" and it gave me 327 entries. 

Due to the nature of pay walls in academic publishing, it can be a challenge to find them free online unless you search sites like ResearchGate or Academia.edu where some authors make their work available. Google Scholar is also an option, but it will list both paywall and non-paywall items

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer