Shark tooth hill fossil donations

Hi everybody,

I recently leased a piece of land that contains the round mountain silt formation (shark tooth hill). Part of the deal with the landowners was to donate a portion of the finds to museums or schools. Does anyone know of any institutions that would be interested in accepting sharks teeth and other fossils? I would need a formal letter of acceptance to provide documentation. Please let me know, thanks

Jesse

Hi! Sent you a PM; I work at a small museum with extensive displays of fossil marine vertebrates, including some Round Mountain Silt specimens, and I specialize in the study of fossil marine mammals. I've made some other suggestions, but our museum - albeit on the east coast - would happily receive such specimens.

• 8 months later...

The Smithsonian museum in Balboa Park, San Diego would love those specimens. They only have a small amount of specimens from Bakersfield (two megs) and would love to have anything rare/uncommon. 

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Hi Jesse,

Yeah, Boesse would know the types of fossils a museum would want.  You can contact an elementary, middle, or high school to see if they could use some of the more common fossils for their science classes.  I assume they would.

Jess

Archived