What is your favourite geological age?

MeargleSchmeargl

Of all the geologic ages in the fossil record, which is your favourite? I'd have to go with the Cambrian, being the oldest Paleozoic period. The fossils of this age are also some of the most interesting due to the incredible diversity of invertebrate fossils (courtesy of the Cambrian Explosion). Many of the creatures preserved in Cambrian formations such as the Burgess Shale are critters you won't see anywhere else in the fossil record.:trilo:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Whichever age I am collecting in at the time. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Whichever age I am collecting in at the time. ;) 

Second that!  I just love the exploration aspect of the hunt.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Ediacaran, for me. 

I'd love to be able to go back and see what the blazes was going on back then. :blink:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I like others, will take what I am collecting at the time, but if I am forced to pick one, I will pick the Pleistocene- even though some may consider the mammals from that time “Road Kill”, as far as geologic age, I really like them. 

Technically speaking, the Cambrian is a Period rather than an Age, but I guess I know what you are meaning here. I'm sort of stuck with the Jurassic down here in southwest Germany, so I guess I have to like it whether I like it or not :P

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Given my somewhat mild interest in trilobites, the entire span from the Cambrian to the Permian.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

10 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Technically speaking, the Cambrian is a Period rather than an Age, but I guess I know what you are meaning here. I'm sort of stuck with the Jurassic down here in southwest Germany, so I guess I have to like it whether I like it or not :P

Yeah, technically you're right, but we ain't bein' technical now, are we? :P

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

So far I have been completely unsuccessful at trying to limit my interest to any particular geological period or group of organisms.  I am fortunate in that I have a large basement to work with, though my wife hates going down there as we have very different levels of chaos that we can tolerate.  Anyway, I could no more prefer one period than I could prefer one of my kids over the others.

Don

33 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Anyway, I could no more prefer one period than I could prefer one of my kids over the others.

I am glad that you said the kids, because if it was between the wife and the dog, you know who is winning out- Woof. :hearty-laugh:

Jurassic and Cretaceous periods. 

Though i agree with @Ludwigia that it's worth pointing out what an 'age' really is, it irks me when age, period, era etc are used interchangeably. 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

24 minutes ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

Jurassic and Cretaceous periods. 

Though i agree with @Ludwigia that it's worth pointing out what an 'age' really is, it irks me when age, period, era etc are used interchangeably. 

Yeah, I get it. Irks me too, depending on context. I just didn't care to include the specific distinctions here. I'm not too perturbed if it doesn't matter in a conversation.

12 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Yeah, I get it. Irks me too, depending on context. I just didn't care to include the specific distinctions here. I'm not too perturbed if it doesn't matter in a conversation.

All good.

Excluding the Mesozoic i also have a thing for the Paleogene period. A world almost like today, but stranger! 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

I like the "period" at the end of a sentence, it makes it so much easier to read with them.

Have no preference for the geologic - era, age or period. Just as long as there are good fossils to be found.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Hmm, my two favorites are the two that I collect most often here in the Southeast USA:

Early Carboniferous (Mississippian): Early sharks and fish, what's not to like?

Cretaceous: I love collecting marine reptile and dinosaur bones.

On 1/12/2018 at 10:51 AM, Cam28 said:

Golden age of dromaeosaurs or something?

Its the Turonian...the best geologic age. ;)

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

My favorite is what ever age I am finding fossils in.  Picking one I would have to say the Jurassic period. Just wish I could find and keep the verts that are found from this age.

Archived