CarolinaFan120

Places to find teeth in the lowcountry?

CarolinaFan120

I am looking for a place to hunt this weekend. Is there any suggestions you may have? I'd prefer to not snorkel, rather just wade in about a foot at the most. Thanks!

-CF

Fossildude19

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Just FYI, ... you may do better researching on your own, than relying on the kindness of strangers, here. :unsure:

Especially where so many people (guests and members) visit this Forum.  

People are generally reluctant to give away hunting spots, especially if they are productive. . 

That said, you can search the Forum for South Carolina sites.

I know some members hunt around the accessible beaches in Charleston. 

Good luck.

Regards, 

Fruitbat

There are links to a few articles that might be of interest in my pdf library here on The Fossil Forum.  Here's a LINK.  Just scroll down until you get to the section on South Carolina.

-Joe

WhodamanHD

I remember a place called Harleyville had Eocene fossils, the prize being auriculatus. Not sure exactly where you hunt there but some research online could help. Also don’t know if that is in range. If I were you I’d join a club or make acquaintance with some nearby experienced fossil hunters.

Lee Taylor

Well fossils and sharks teeth can be found all over the low country but it is mostly by happenstance. When you do find an area that looks promising it is important to get written permission from the owner. I was a SCUBA diver for 20 years and the best place I found was the bottom of the rivers. I find hunting land sites to be much more difficult. It seems that in South Carolina that the sedimentary rock layer comes closest to the surface about 20 miles from the coast. You will also notice sandstone, limestone, and phosphate deposits exposed in these areas. I will include a link showing the bandwidth of which I have personally noted the most fossil finds over the years.

I have hunted fossil excavations in California and the "finding" process is entirely different there. They find fossils that have been washed out of a hillside so they dig (or excavate) the hillside.

South Carolina Fossil Bandwidth

SharkBit

Hello All! I'm new to the forum. My girlfriend and I will be camping and fossil hunting in the Edisto and Summerville areas during the week of 2/26. Anyone interested in joining us for an afternoon or two? We typically hunt in Maryland, Florida and New Jersey but we have been really enjoying exploring SC over past few years and there are a few creeks that we are itching to get back to.   

-Jerry

Lee Taylor

Jerry that does sound like fun for an old fossil hound like myself. Right now I am in CA and looking at Topanga Canyon and the Santa Monica Mountains. Will be checking out some local collections tomorrow. Looking forward to that!

this is me  >>>  https://www.facebook.com/PaleontologyGroup/

I am in a hotel close to Fossil Ridge. It caught my eye

o.jpg

Brett Breakin' Rocks
16 hours ago, Lee Taylor said:

Jerry that does sound like fun for an old fossil hound like myself. Right now I am in CA and looking at Topanga Canyon and the Santa Monica Mountains. Will be checking out some local collections tomorrow. Looking forward to that!

this is me  >>>  https://www.facebook.com/PaleontologyGroup/

I am in a hotel close to Fossil Ridge. I caught my eye

Hey Lee,

Topanga canyon is a spot I used to haunt ... I'll PM you a location if you are interested.  It may still be accessible.

Cheers,

Brett

Ok, just PM'd you the location.  I miss that spot so much.

Lee Taylor

Thank you Brett. Trying to head that way now. Having a case of the lead syndrome this morning

Lee Taylor
20 hours ago, SharkBit said:

My girlfriend and I will be camping and fossil hunting in the Edisto and Summerville areas during the week of 2/26.

Are you planning to wade the edges, snorkel, or scuba. The forth quarter of 2017 I did some Edisto snorkeling. Did not have enough weight to hold me on the bottom. We found small bits and pieces.

SharkBit

Hey Lee, 

Hope your having a great time in Topanga canyon! That looks like an epic trip!

We will likely stick to wading the inlets around Edisto and a few creeks on the outskirts of Summerville. We're also bringing snorkels in case we come across any choice areas. I haven't been in SC during this time of year so I'm not to sure how the creeks and rivers are running.

-Jerry 

Lee Taylor

Jerry... Here is your Edisto water lever gauge

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=02175000

We use to scuba at 6ft or below. I snorkel around 3ft. Of course it varies depending on where you are on the river. You can shovel and sift in the edge of the Edisto around 3ft on the gauge. The gauge will show you highs and lows. The water here is greatly affected by volume of rainfall. Anywhere 20 miles from the ocean has potential. Typically you have to find some sort of cut through the overburden.

Have not made Topanga yet. The LA traffic is HORRENDOUS. I was in it yesterday. Topanga gives the impression of one of those well known well picked over sites. I bet the scenery is excellent.

I did get to the museum and put my hands on a earth strata specimen containing the KT Boundary. The photo shows it running horizontally

1000.jpg

SharkBit

Thanks Lee! The water looks pretty high hopefully it drops some by next week. I was under the impression that digging and sifting was not permitted in SC. Are there any places where it is OK to do so (responsibly of course)? Also, other than "No tools of any kind" are there any rules I should know of when walking the creeks in Summerville? Thanks for the info! 

To bad about the traffic.. That is an interesting sample. Just taking guess buts looks like heavy calcium/marine deposits without the typical well defined ash line. Very different from the KTB lines I've seen in Arizona and Utah. I wonder if the minimal ash/acid in the layer produced very well preserved fossils in the area. Hopefully you can find a productive area or two that has been overlooked!    

Lee Taylor

At the current rate of drop you could see 4 feet by next Monday and more as time passes. That is IF it does not rain.

Here is a paragraph I posted a while back:

I have been picking up teeth around the SC lowcountry for 20 years. My understanding is the law applies to the Summerville city limits only. The city limits are shown on Google maps. The DNR has rules against using mechanical devices on the bottom of any navigable water. The state claims all artifacts found under navigable water belongs to them until a findings report has been filed and they have approved the report (of which apparently transfers ownership to you). They also require a fossil report be submitted regarding fossils found under navigable water. Unless you find and report a very rare fossil you will likely never hear from them. There are millions of shark teeth out there and they do not have much interest in them. Their primary interest is artifacts. Most creeks are on private property so permission to hunt and collect is required although seldom pursued. Most citations given out are by the DNR on the rivers. The DNR does not patrol private property. I have friends that have been fined on the river but know of no one that has been fined for hunting creeks.

I personally keep my Hobby Diver License current and I file every 3 months. Finds of no finds.

Unless you are on public property you need consent from the owner (and on some public property it is illegal to take fossils). If you do not have consent the possibility exists that you may be approached by the owner or law enforcement. When fossil hunting in Bakersfield CA I noticed they have the same concerns. I think the private property rules are pretty much the same everywhere.

I was approached by the SC Dept of Natural Resources while sifting the river. They asked if I was finding sharks teeth. I said yes... small ones. They motored off without issuing a ticket of any kind. Does not mean the next officer would do the same.

It all revolves around ownership, possession, money, and science.

Being legal is the best way to fly but if you are not legal, are you prepared to take the financial hit?

Lee Taylor

The bottom line is a group of amateur paleontologists dug up a giant fossilized turtle in the city limits of Summerville and left a huge unsightly excavation. The city does not want that to happen again.

Lee Taylor
4 hours ago, SharkBit said:

Very different from the KTB lines I've seen in Arizona and Utah.

I noticed it is very different also. It is in the museum and the claim it to be the KT layer. They may be wrong!

SharkBit
14 hours ago, Lee Taylor said:

The bottom line is a group of amateur paleontologists dug up a giant fossilized turtle in the city limits of Summerville and left a huge unsightly excavation. The city does not want that to happen again.

Leave it to a few degenerates to mess things up for everyone...

Edited by SharkBit

SharkBit

Thanks again Lee! After reading all of that I am definitely rethinking my game plan. Probably way less hassle to hit spots outside of city limits. Happy hunting in CA!

Lee Taylor

Finding a land lease for hunting purposes within the bandwidth may be an idea.

SharkBit
On 2/20/2018 at 11:30 PM, Lee Taylor said:

Finding a land lease for hunting purposes within the bandwidth may be an idea.

Great idea! Thanks Lee! 

Lee Taylor

If you own land here, 20 miles from the coast, and you dig, you will find fossils, possibly LOTS of significant fossils. Subdivision pond excavators have found entire Saber Tooth Cats. Its here. Just can't get to it

Lee Taylor
On 2/20/2018 at 9:55 AM, SharkBit said:

Thanks again Lee! After reading all of that I am definitely rethinking my game plan. Probably way less hassle to hit spots outside of city limits. Happy hunting in CA!

It is definitely best to stay out of the Summerville City Limits. They do not want our kind and understandably so. There are not any fossil "police". BUT if you are trespassing it is possible to be confronted. Again the state lays claim to everything underneath water. The Dept of Natural Resources does police the rivers occasionally. To do this legally you need a $5 license

WhodamanHD
53 minutes ago, Lee Taylor said:

$5 license

Too rich for my blood!:P