ID help

im1cardfan

I found this in a Southcentral KY branch about 100 yds down from where a spring was bubbling up out of the ground. Looked this morning for about an hr or so on help IDing it but had no luck. This thing is almost same size as  a small can of soup and looks to be perfectly round with no tapering. Anyone in the know?

IMG_1015.JPG

IMG_1016.JPG

IMG_1017.JPG

I have doubts this is a nautiloid given the irregularity of the banding. Could this be of non-biologic origin? @ynot ?

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

6 minutes ago, Kane said:

I have doubts this is a nautiloid given the irregularity of the banding. Could this be of non-biologic origin? @ynot ?

Yea I had this feeling too

CD

Maybe Artisia of Cordaites ?

post-17588-0-08298100-1468403503.thumb.jpg.85f984e2dc4edc20e338c02e2e3f2593.jpgpost-17588-0-56199900-1468403532.thumb.jpg.be000c4c225457ec8eabb931dcc97f87.jpgrecoart.jpg.31177620e77f1b95c388d6b767399d6f.jpgGL045Cordaicladus06CB.thumb.jpg.23f3912afd23206599e55e331fa1a443.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I agree with sacha, it looks like a weathered core sample.

The banding is inconsistent in size, whereas abysunder's example has fairly regular sized banding

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It's right at 2 1/2", and it is pretty consistent with no tapering. So you think it may a petrified center core of wood? 

Edited by im1cardfan

I was not sure what you were calling center core...so I googled it. All of them they show are semi-smooth, unlike this one. 

Actually the type of core I'm talking about is what an oil company (or mining) drills to explore for oil or minerals. It is drilled with a drill bit that has a hollow center. They are sometimes dumped and that is why they may end up where they are not expected. Did the surrounding rock look like your piece? Of so it's probably not a drill core, because a drill core would have come from some depth below the surface. A drill core tends to look somewhat man-made, except its real rock.

I think it may be Artisia.
Take a look at this topic:

" Artisia is the name (= form-genus) given to pith casts of cordaitalean stems. The pith is a central region of the stem consisting of tissue that easily decays forming a hollow that may be filled by sediment. This central pith cavity is crossed by bands of more decay-resistant tissue that persists giving Artisia its horizontal bands. " - from here

Here is Artisia from Hyden formation, Eastern KY:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

9 minutes ago, fossilus said:

Actually the type of core I'm talking about is what an oil company (or mining) drills to explore for oil or minerals. It is drilled with a drill bit that has a hollow center. They are sometimes dumped and that is why they may end up where they are not expected. Did the surrounding rock look like your piece? Of so it's probably not a drill core, because a drill core would have come from some depth below the surface. A drill core tends to look somewhat man-made, except its real rock.

Ok, where it was found idk. It was in the middle of a field away from houses, and some of the surrounding rocks were similar in color but not size at all. I will go back and look closer sometime to the surrounding rocks. Here are a few more pics. 

IMG_1026.JPG

The ones I saw on google were mostly smooth. Any drilling in this area would've strictly been for water, which i guess they would've maybe had to drill some. idk

I'm not throwing out that idea yet. Also, now that I think about it...it was in the branch just after a small shallow pond. My first inclination when I saw it amongst the other rocks was that it was something a Native American might have used for a pestle. It was after I got it home and cleaned it up that I thought fossil or something petrified.

A core sample would be perfectly round. Unless I am looking at it wrong, in the second photo it seems to have an oblong cross section.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

If the drill developed a vibration it can produce an oblong cross section with irregulare banding.

I have seen core drill samples that were over 2 inches wide.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

A strange piece indeed. For no reason in particular, I’m getting abiological vibes.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I agree with abyssunder, plant pith. Here is one of mine from the Penn. of Hazard, KY

IMG_20170403_152932217_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170403_152908234_HDR.jpg

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Well, one thing is for certain...it's a neat piece and I'm glad I picked it up and brought it home. Maybe I can take it to a nearby rock show in the future and get some more opinions. Thanks for the opinions and output!